• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ugh!!! How do you face the mornings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumanNOS

Learning
I have my hardest times in the morning. This hasn't always been the case, but I'm am new to PTSD. So my emotions are heightened. I am very unsure of myself and what I'm going through. I have read the cup theory. Although...I don't know how, or if, you can make that block smaller?

But for now... anybody else have/had trouble in the mornings?

Every morning, I get nervous about what I'm gonna do that day. I don't really feel that I know who I am right now (in a self discovery manner), so I'm not really sure what to do with myself. It is really fiercely irritating! My hyper-vigilance is at an 11.

(I was in the in the ad world for years, even when I had to work from home, and that is a grueling job. But I was also a mom to three adopted kids that had special needs, am a mom, even though they are not physically in my house. I have had a battle to fight for decades. On one front for the best idea and job and one on another front to get the care my children needed...and the responses they experienced toward me, because of their trauma. And if you have adopted children with special needs, you know the battle that has to occur. And that doesn't even touch the nucleus trauma of my PTSD)

However, Yesterday I spent a couple of hours listening to an audiobook on PTSD on my back deck. And I felt SO guilty about taking the time to do that.

And, I know that is an illogical thought, but I don't know how to surpass the guilt of spending time on me. And I really would love to find out who I am when i'm making my own rules. So, I'm torn. And it makes the days difficult. And I would love to hear from others on any experiences they may have had and what helped!

Thanks!

I have to start my day with the basics to be able to better build anything else from.

As soon as I wake, I start deep breathing exercises and expressing gratitude for my breath, my sight, my other senses, my automatic bodily functions I so often take for granted, for mobility, albeit limited at times, for nature, for loved ones, etc. That shifts my brain out of the overactive "what-ifness" space.

Then I do multiple stretches before getting out of bed, unless I have to pee really bad, then I run and take care of that and return to bed - took a lot of nurturing self-talk to make me feel it was okay to do that.

Once I rise, I do the usual tooth brushing/flossing, restroom tasks, hair combing, then get dressed, because if I keep my jammies on, I tend to stay in neutral, however, some days that's exactly where I need to be/stay - and once again, kindly giving self permission to do so was a chore for a while.

Then I focus on healthy hydration (I don't do caffeine any longer after dealing with a heart issue) and nourishment. Things still go all to hell at times, but shift happens. Simply keeping my sense of humor is my only saving grace some days. Wishing you the best.

I have my hardest times in the morning. This hasn't always been the case, but I'm am new to PTSD. So my emotions are heightened. I am very unsure of myself and what I'm going through. I have read the cup theory. Although...I don't know how, or if, you can make that block smaller?

But for now... anybody else have/had trouble in the mornings?

Every morning, I get nervous about what I'm gonna do that day. I don't really feel that I know who I am right now (in a self discovery manner), so I'm not really sure what to do with myself. It is really fiercely irritating! My hyper-vigilance is at an 11.

(I was in the in the ad world for years, even when I had to work from home, and that is a grueling job. But I was also a mom to three adopted kids that had special needs, am a mom, even though they are not physically in my house. I have had a battle to fight for decades. On one front for the best idea and job and one on another front to get the care my children needed...and the responses they experienced toward me, because of their trauma. And if you have adopted children with special needs, you know the battle that has to occur. And that doesn't even touch the nucleus trauma of my PTSD)

However, Yesterday I spent a couple of hours listening to an audiobook on PTSD on my back deck. And I felt SO guilty about taking the time to do that.

And, I know that is an illogical thought, but I don't know how to surpass the guilt of spending time on me. And I really would love to find out who I am when i'm making my own rules. So, I'm torn. And it makes the days difficult. And I would love to hear from others on any experiences they may have had and what helped!

Thanks!

Mornings are the worst. Like @Tornadic Thoughts said you have to set up a routine and be regimented about it otherwise the cup gets too full. Even then you will still have some bad days sometimes for no reason. Other times around anniversaries.

Taking time for your needs is essential. How can you take care of whatever comes up that needs handling, if you you need help for yourself?

As to mornings, I have a hungry cat who needs to eat in the early morning. I don't think about me then, but her and her needs. She's pregnant...

When my guy is symptomatic, mornings are the worst. Depression. Anger. Nausea. Vomiting. And sometimes rage.

Up until about a year ago we just rode it out. Now he'll wake up, take his meds and chill until they kick in. He sits in his chair and dozes in and out. I leave him be until he is calm and speaks to me.

I have to determine his mood before engaging with him. I know he's feeling good when he wakes up and is calm, kind, loving and silly. I Love those days and we are having more and more of them.

I wake up and I'm ready to go. He needs a couple of hours to level out his emotions. So I give him the space he needs. I do my errands in the a.m. so he has the house to himself to feel whatever he feels.

I'm amazed how well he is doing lately. He gets up 2 hours before work to make sure his meds are in his system and his nausea is subsided.

Occasionally he still has really bad mornings but we just deal with one moment at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back