• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

[United States] Do you have experience/knowledge of section 8 housing?

littleoc

MyPTSD Pro
Very sure this is the wrong section, but it fits here in my head better than elsewhere, so move it when you see it I suppose.

Anyway -- has anyone here (who can respond) gotten section 8 housing before?

How did it go? Was the process okay? Did you chose to stay in an apartment or a small home, and was there a reason related to how the system works that made you chose one over the other?

Absolutely can't stand where I live. Especially now that I know my dad CAN still affect me here even if he does not own the property. And my mom. Don't know what to do with her, though. Ugh. But the last several times I've been able to move out I've had to come back due to financial hardship.

I am currently unemployed, disabled, and waiting on disability to approve me for any sort of income. I have been waiting for about two years now? a year and a half? If you are on this program, along with section 8 housing, how did it work for you? Should I be on it before signing up, or should I join the waitlist now, in your opinion/if it were you?

Anyway, any information is helpful, if there is any to be had, thank you <3

I am going to talk it through with a case manager soon. Just wanted to check and see if anyone here had any experiences, though.

Never lived in Section 8, but I have known a lot of people who did. The thing I most remember about it is that the waiting lists were very long - but that also depended on how much of it there was. Most places I've lived, there wasn't much of it, but that definitely can be different from place to place.

Many years ago a friend of mine was a single mother living with her parents. She applied for housing and the waiting list was very long. She had to have her parents write a letter that they were kicking her out and her and baby would be homeless. It moved her to the top of the waiting list.

I think you HAVE to be homeless to be considered. Again, this was many years ago so it could be different now.

Good luck @littleoc .

Never lived in Section 8, but I have known a lot of people who did. The thing I most remember about it is that the waiting lists were very long - but that also depended on how much of it there was. Most places I've lived, there wasn't much of it, but that definitely can be different from place to place.
Very true -- that's the only thing I know about it so far as well, from Lionheart applying in 2020 and receiving it in 2023, if I remember correctly

And thank you, @LuckiLee :) I am legally homeless, tho in a weird situation, so I suppose it's worth the ask

From my experience, you should definitely join the waitlist now. I applied for disability and housing at about the same time and had to do a hearing to get disability. It was still months before I made it to the top of the housing list. In my area, you do get cleaner and safer options once you are on disability, so it's important to revise your application as soon as you're accepted.

The process was pretty easy. After you fill out the paperwork, you just wait. Once you are at the top of the list and something opens up, it moves really quickly.

Back