• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Unsure - Is Therapy A Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillspeedy

New Here
I'm not quite for sure where to post this. :mad:

I'm wondering if there is anyone that could give me some advice.
I have never been one to think going to therapy is a good idea but now I am not quite for sure.

I had a very traumatic experience 20 years ago. I was in a very possessive relationship where the person that I was friends with tried to commit suicide. To this day very few people know that I experienced this. For years I was fine for the most part but the experience is unfortunately still there in the back of my mind 24/7. I have had a couple of troubling triggers over the course of the last 9 months and I am wondering if I need to deal with the experience once and for all.

I am not so worried about the cost of therapy. I am more concerned about dealing with all the emotions that are tied to this experience.

Does anyone know if you can talk to a mental health professional when no mental health diagnosis might be found?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is that you could ask your therapist not to give you a diagnosis. Tell him/her you just want to vent.

If they agree to that then you should be OK. If they can't agree to that due to insurance purposes then ask them where you could go to talk about your issues. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Take care
Tammy

Jillspeedy, Welcome!

If you push a beach ball under the water it will push back until eventually it will pop up. Trauma and the pain that comes from it are like the ball. A therapist with expertise in trauma recovery may help you to release and have peace. May peace replace your pain!

I think talking to a therapist is a good resource and a way to help manage thoughts and behaviors that are troubling. So yeah, I think it's a good idea.

I am not sure I understand your question about a diagnosis--are you hoping to find a therapist who won't give you a diagnosis, or wondering if a therapist will see you even if there is no concrete diagnosis to be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back