• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Useful Physical Therapy For Accident Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tija

Confident
Just a small part of my PTSD involves having had 2 concussions within 10 months of each other in 2007. With the 2nd, my posture deteriorated so bad, that in six months, my back and hips went out, and I couldn't walk. It took about 3 months to relearn how to walk again, and since then, I am on my 2nd chiropractor, still dependent on adjustments that don't seem to last.

Recently, I've been seeing an alternative physician, who used muscle testing on me. He commented that I may have bones out of place in my head. Also other tests show that I am still weak structurally. I am dismayed at this diagnosis, as it looks like my current chiropractor cannot help me with my greatest problem, and that is a remaining forward head position that causes mild painful kyphosis, lower back pain, sciatica pain down my legs, and tendonitis/ carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands/arms.

I've been investigating around the internet for a few days trying to help understand how I can help myself, or who can help me with this. I've come across cranial sacral, NCR (neuro cranial restructuring), the Alexander technique, general exercises, a device called the posture Jac, and the list goes on.. Anyone try these?

I would love to hear from anyone on this forum who has been through an accident, a concussion, and would like to know how you recovered or if you are still recovering. I didn't know this before, but a bad skeletal structure can really affect and wreck your brain stem and nervous system, and so I know it is crucial that I find answers. Psychotherapy is just one side of the coin for me.

Thanks so much :rolleyes: Tija

I'Ve had a lot of success with the Feldenkrais Method. Have done it for years. Using non-invasive, non habitual movements to re-educate the nervous system...affecting everything the nervous system affects. It helped me a lot with language processing, emotional and panic regulation and sciatica (which I had for years). It is done either in group classes where the teacher talks you thru a one hour lesson of usually mat work (called Awareness Thru Movement) or hands-on guidance with a teacher (called Functional Integration). You can probably google it and learn more. The gist is that we quickly habituate movement, etc whether it is functional or not. The lessons are used to break up those patterns and create opportunities for the brain/body to learn new ways of doing things. Around here a lot of Physical Therapists are trained in it. Good luck with your quest and recovery.

Thank you very much, Paloma! I just looked this up on YouTube. and it looks very interesting.. It looks quite easy to do, calming and relaxing compared to Pilates or Yoga.. Is it?

That is really wonderful that Feldenkrais has helped you with so many things.. wow. Did it help you with the emotional aspects of ptsd, as well? How long did it take you before you noticed improvements? (Can't help wanting a quick fix!)

I found a studio over the internet that is close by to where I live! I have bookmarked it for future reference. I see my new naturopath next week, so I will see what he has in mind. I shall ask him about Feldenkrais!

Best :rolleyes:Tija

I've had a couple of cranial-sacral massages. Very minimal pressure, touching, etc. and I was fully clothed. It helps to realign the spine from top to bottom. I've had problems with my hips and low back for years. Due to sexual traumas, my muscles in that area are chronically tight and need a lot of help. Yoga is my main line of defense. Sometimes I need more.

And yes, it's amazing how one little thing out of alignment can throw your whole system off. The out-of-alignments go in diagonals from one joint to the next (and affect the muscles that are atttached). You're foot being out of alignment can cause you to have headaches because it throws everything off going up. Or in your case, down. And unfortuantely, muscles take the road of least resistence and if they get into bad posture, they tend to stay that way without a lot of help and work to change.

I'd recommend looking into talking to a massage therapist who also knows physical therapy. Someone who really knows how the body works and how to help you fix it when it doesn't. Doctors are good, but their standard response seems to be to hand you a script and tell you to drug yourself. Physical therapists, massage therapist, yoga instructors (who've been licensed) have all had extensive training in the skeletal-muscular system and I'd recommend someone who can help me without drugs.

If you're serious about this, it's probably going to be a long-term process. Maybe life-long to keep things the way they are supposed to be rather than how they want to be. Judas priest...sounds like PTSD.

Lisa

I don't know much about Feldenkrais but I have a friend who swears by it and say's that it's changed her life. I think that if it can't hurt it's certainly worth trying!

Thank you for your feedback, Marlene and Llama! :smile: Was at my new Naturopath/chiro yesterday.. he does a whole bunch of really neat things, a lot of which is still a mystery to me! He says he is going to work on it with me, so I'll see how it goes ! I do feel very hopeful about this, but I would still like incorporate and try cranial sacral, feldenkrais and/or rolfing. I'd really like to try them all, and see which one I respond to best! Wish me luck!!

Best:rolleyes: Tija

A really simple (and inexpensive) approach is one I'm just re-discovering for myself now. Get yourself one of those balance balls (I think you can still find them for around $25 bucks). Make sure it's the right size for you. If it's too big, it won't work well. I also leave mine just slightly under-inflated as well... makes it much more stable.

And then, just explore, find what feels good to you. If you feel edgy, and want to feel comforted, kneel with the ball in front of you, and just wrap your arms around it, and let it take all your weight... just let go. Spread you legs a little wider, turn your head one side or the other, or rest your chin on the ball. Experient with all these subtle variations, and it's incredible how much it feels is happening, even though it's a very passive excercise.

When you feel at rest for a while, change your head position (slow and careful - NO FORCE - give your body time to re-adjust itself). Roll yourself up on top of the ball, grunt and groan a little if you're built anything like me, LOL. If that feels good, try lying on your back next time, and just safely experiment with just how much, to what point, you can just... let... go.

These simple little excercise/balance balls do an absolutely *incredible* job at stretching and loosening up your vertabrae, all the way down your spine. Energy flows freeer, you can hold yourself straighter. You may even feel a little taller after a few good sessions :)

Peace,
Dave

Hi Dave. Yes, I've had a balance ball at home for years, but never really used it. I actually bought a DVD that uses it, but I found it quite difficult and challenging. At the time I was at a place emotionally where I just couldn't sit still, nor concentrate on anything much. Perhaps I will have a look at it again, and try it! Thank-you !

I went to my 1st Feldenkrais class about 3 weeks ago. I was really happy about it, because I had heard so much good about it.
Unfortunately, when I was driving home I got this horrible headache with major neck and shoulder pain. I also felt dizzy and
very very tired.. like I had just come from a therapy session! So, anyway, I called later that week, and said I would not be coming anymore. I was looking for pain REDUCTION and not MORE pain! LOL So, in summary, Feldenkrais is very challenging, more than any other exercise I've ever tried ! It is about doing repetitive small movements over and over again, and having to think about it at the same time. It is not unlike Qigong. Having tried Qigong, though, this is much harder!

Last week I bought a DVD at Amazon, called "Posture-Get it Straight" by Janice Novak. It is a brilliant DVD with simple to-do
posture exercises. It uses one of those stretch bands. I think I am seeing some improvements already, and feel very positive! I have
spent too long being dependent on my chiropractor, to do something he never could have helped me with!

Take care:smile: Tija

Dave,I wanted to add something. You didn't mention whether you also have a forward head position because of your accident? For the longest time I attributed it to my 2 concussions, however, one day I was reading an article that had me think about it differently.
It said that having a forward head position is quite a serious matter in the sense that it makes your body think it is in a fight or flight adrenaline situation. I thought that was very interesting considering I was suffering from severe adrenal fatigue! I'm currently working
with my ND on that.

Best,:smile: Tija

Yes, I've used the stretchy bands too. They are also good. Just keep trying things until you find something that fits. You really do have to take it slow, though, or you'll wind up hurting. Best of luck. I tried Yoga because it sounded so peaceful, but wound up hurting myself several times because I tried to do it "right", rather than respecting my bodies own current limits. Just coming up to the point of discomfort, and then backing off, and testing it again, little by little, it helps over time.

And yup, at one time after the accident I looked like a Canada goose trying to stick his neck through a hole in the fence ;D In the program I was in at the time, they just told me to do a correction... tuck in chin, straighten neck... any time I caught myself doing it (which was always in the beginning). It took about a year, one check at a time, but it worked. It takes time for your muscles and spine to readjust, and learn a new postion/place/way of being. I applied constant heat too, either a pad or hot baths, to keep it pliable so it *could* be corrected.

Oh, just wanted to add, I have the adrenal fatigue as well. I'd be curious to hear what your ND has you do for that. Right now I am taking an herbal capsule called "EM/A Plex". She said it would take about a year for me for complete healing, but of course it's helping a little even now after 2 months. I won't tell you the interesting "side effect" I had after the first week ;D

Dave, your experience with Yoga, was exactly mine with Feldenkrais. I did not respect my body's limits, because at the 30 minute mark (the class was 1 hr) a little voice inside me said "That's enough". I didn't want to disturb the instructor or the class by asking if I could leave early (I also had to pay her) and so I went for another 1/2 hour and came home in pain. I was a bit upset with myself because I reverted back to the old me, the one that never took care of myself, or said anything.. Weeks later, I was able to be more compassionate with myself about the whole thing. I realized that learning to be assertive was a process, and that relapses every now and then are ok and normal. Hopefully, though, I don't think I will ever have this particular experience happen again. Lesson learned!

That is very reassuring that the 'tuck chin in' correction method worked for you !! I actually saw that small exercise done on a YouTube video long before this! At the time I didn't think that such a simple exercise would have any impact. Of course there are other exercises that one must do too.. In any case, I will try it, everytime I remember.. I'm sure you can do it anywhere, anytime. A hot water bottle/heating pad is a really good suggestion, too. Thank you!

I looked up the EM/A/Plex and it has very different ingredients than my Adrenal formula. But it doesn't matter to compare, because each person is unique in what their body wants and needs, at any given time. That is why when a ND is knowledgeable in muscle testing it is really a unique and specialized plan, isn't it?

Adrenal fatigue does take a long time to heal.. you are right. It's really hard to be patient, too. That has been the biggest battle with me, is that I fight it. Not good, but after all this time, the light has finally come on.. LOL Therapy has helped me a lot in this area. I am getting better at talking nicely to myself and my body.

You asked me what my ND is doing for my Adrenal Fatigue.. Ok, here's a list below of what he's got me doing and taking, so far. I have noticed a definite improvement thus far. It's great you are seeing results, too!

Also, I am incorporating some of Dr. Lawrence Wilson's protocol/advice into my routine, too. You can google Dr. L. Wilson and find his website on copper toxicity, adrenal fatigue etc.. In my opinion,only here, I think that his analysis is really going at a deeper mark than even Plesman..

1. Juicing 8 oz. of green vegetables:
kale,broccoli, swiss chard,collards,parsley,dandilions,beets, and.. carrots & apple
(very important for me to be able to down this!)
2. Sleep at least 8-11 hours (naps included)
3. Walk 1/2 hour outside preferably in nature
4. Infrared Sauna, rebounder for heavy metal detoxification. Copper (have copper pipes at home and had to buy a prefilter for water). Also lead & mercury.
5. Drink 8 glasses of purified clean ph water ( I have a water ionizer)
6. Supplements:
AOR Professional- Prochondria
Life Extension- Gaba Powder
Doctor's Choice- New Neurogical Support
Physica - Galt Fortifier
Physica - Adrenal Life Force
Whole Food -Zinc
AOR - B vitamins

Tija

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back