using process of elimination to identify emotions

stranger2myself!

Policy Enforcement
not sure if this is just part of dissociation or if its something else, but ive noticed ive been doing this a lot lately. if someone asks how im doing, i dont know what to say because i dont feel terrible, but i dont feel great, and i dont feel okay either. so ill answer them like "well i dont know, im not terrible, but im not doing that great either", and i have to keep eliminating what im NOT feeling to figure out what exactly i AM feeling. anyone else?
i also sometimes get half way through a task before i even realize im doing it. for example i put my sweatshirt on this morning, and than i thought to myself "why am i putting this on? its too hot out".

Wendell_R

MyPTSD Pro
I have a different version of this. When one of my dissociative parts is causing me distress, I can often figure out who it is by eliminating all the parts that are resting or feeling fine.

Movingforward10

MyPTSD Pro
Yep.
Tried this . Worked out that trying to figure out how I feel by process of elimination of feelings, doesn't make me work out what I'm feeling. Mainly because the only feelings I can think of at that time are basic 'happt/sad' feelings.
I then look at the feelings wheel to try and think of more feelings.
Sometimes that helps. But when I'm really disassociated, it doesn't help at all. I think that is because my whole being is working so hard to not feel that feelings are not accessible. So maybe I just feel the feeling of trying not to feel?
My T says that's ok. It's ok to not know what the feeling is. To just accept that for the time being.

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
I don’t know if you might relate to this?

During sessions my T will ask my how I feel about something and I flounder a bit .... she will make a suggestion like ‘angry’ or ‘sad’ and that helps me pin point it - ‘no, not angry more disillusioned’ or ‘more frustrated than sad’.

By knowing what I don’t feel I can pin point more accurately and specifically what I do. Sometimes the emotions are really similar, so my body language and word selection is clearly indicative of the region of my feeling around the subject.

When I am disassociated i mainly feel ‘numb’ or remote or even theoretical about emotions