• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Vacation is supposed to be relaxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigiii

Learning
In my day to day life I’m used to staying up late because of insomnia/avoid nightmares and when i do sleep i have nightmares and nightterrors. I thought it would be better now that i can ‘relax’ but it feels like everything is heavier. Why can’t i just catch a break. Nothing helps, I’ve tried so many different things. Am I broken?

There's likely a multiple factors at play taking a wrecking ball to your holiday sleep.

The big ones that come to mind are (1) free headspace times means time to focus inwards, instead of spending a big part of the day focusing on daily tasks/work; and (2) any change in your sleep habits can change your sleep cycles - rousing from the REM stage of your sleep cycle quicker (zero control over that) means you'll remember your dreams more.

Changes in diet can also impact not just the quality of our sleep, but also the vividness of our dreams.

Hope you catch a break and get to enjoy your holiday!

I think holidays can be very stressful and a trigger in themselves. Unfamiliar territory. Not in your 'safe place'. Unpredictable. I think it makes me more stressed, depending on how I have been.
Holidays can also be wonderful and relaxing, but it really depends on where your mindset is.

Can you work out if, during the day on your holiday if you're feeling more symptomatic? And try grounding? If you're more relaxed during the day maybe the sleep might be better at night?

Holidays are sold as the time to relax. But, with PTSD, I don't know if it's that simple. You're not broken.

I think holidays can be very stressful and a trigger in themselves. Unfamiliar territory. Not in your 'safe place'. Unpredictable. I think it makes me more stressed, depending on how I have been.
Holidays can also be wonderful and relaxing, but it really depends on where your mindset is.

Can you work out if, during the day on your holiday if you're feeling more symptomatic? And try grounding? If you're more relaxed during the day maybe the sleep might be better at night?

Holidays are sold as the time to relax. But, with PTSD, I don't know if it's that simple. You're not broken.
Right now that vacation is more like I’m free from school but actually I’m just staying with my family (like a second home) and not doing anything. I still workout here just to feel like im still doing something but I don’t feel like it has a big effect on my sleep. Like I said before I haven’t found anything that helps yet and I’ve tried a lot. Thank you for responding tho:)

Right now that vacation is more like I’m free from school but actually I’m just staying with my family (like a second home) and not doing anything. I still workout here just to feel like im still doing something but I don’t feel like it has a big effect on my sleep. Like I said before I haven’t found anything that helps yet and I’ve tried a lot.
Ah, thanks for explaining. I misunderstood.

What have you tried that hasn't worked?

Is there a time when something did work a little?

Ah, thanks for explaining. I misunderstood.

What have you tried that hasn't worked?

Is there a time when something did work a little
When i started going to therapy the exercises worked a little (not anymore). I’ve also tried meds, natural things (foods, drinks, herbs etc), more exercises. I tried exhausting myself to see if I’d pass out and this still works sometimes but don’t think that’s healthy. Tried stories, music, praying. I’ve tried routines which didn’t help with sleep but I still use it. I can’t think of others I’ve tried

Do you keep a sleep diary? Maybe looking at patterns might help?

Maybe writing down your worries before you go to bed, to put them out of you and into a notebook to come back to in the morning?

Maybe (and this depends how comfortable you are with connecting with your body, i.e. if it's a trigger it might not help), but doing a ritual at night like a hot bath, mindfulness, meditation etc.

Maybe look at what your goal is. Maybe it's sleeping for 4 hours rather than 2. Or 6 hours rather than 4. Or whatever the goal is. Break it down and see success in smaller chunks? Maybe it's waking up three times rather than 6, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back