• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Valium prescription - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you mentioned back in your previous thread that when you are up at 3am wired, coloring and taking a walk weren't practical....and I happen to agree. First, I do my evening routine and climb in bed about 9pm in bed to unwind with books, letter/card writing, make my "to do" list for the next day on my notepad phone app for the next day, and if I feel my thoughts are not slowing down. I might comb my cats, read a magazine of interest (the kind you hold in your hand), or check my "to do at night list" ... I keep a list of small organizational boring tasks for just this kinda. night. Not only do I do a low key activity or two....it is productive so I feel positive when I'm done....like I accomplished something extra. I have socks that need pairs, my bedside table drawers needing organizing....towels might need folding....and I sit in bed and do them and listen to relaxing music nothing sad or upbeat.....relaxing, polish my glasses, organize my extra batteries-mundane tasks I don't get to unless I'm too awake to go to bed.
If that doesn't work, then I get the big guns out and write down what's swirling in my head.
I see it as I have several choices in that situation......taking my non-prescription meds and continue ruminating and feeling wired up which for me never works and I'm still wired at 3am.....or taking my non-prescription meds and try to deal with it by getting it out of my head onto a piece of paper and look at what I can and can't control....usually this works to help resolve the issue I have swirling in my head...and often I come up with a solution....and it is then I can usually go to sleep. If I've dealt with the problem....and it's 1am.....and I have better perspective....I then assess how I feel....and either distract for another 1/2 hr or so-and do the camonile tea and warm bath thing (sometimes a hotpad works too), or take 1/2 of a pill instead of a whole one and do a subdued or boring distraction until I get drowsy. The key for me anyway is to start early......expect to have some difficulty some nights......expect my average night to be asleep by midnight.....and begin intervention by 10:30 or so if I'm not seeing sleep in my future before midnight. I also found using a Dodow is a really helpful .....that helps get me over the hump and off to sleep. I have a friend who wakes up every morning at 3 am, and she says the rosary-which is a repetitive and now, after she gets up and says her morning prayers.....she climbs back into bed, says a few more aloud, and falls asleep. The rosary is no different than saying a mantra to enter a sort of suggestible or hypnotic state.....which will then move you into sleep state. Neither organizing....nor the rosary are "activities" like coloring....and walking a good pace is exercise which releases endorphins if you go long enough.....counteractive to the goal of sleeping plus once you get out of bed for a length of time....your brain isn't in sleep mode. Just my thought for sleep issues.

I use a program called Sleep Cycle.....and when my sleep was all torn up, it really helped me focus on getting better sleep. It records the amount of sleep (total time), the number of times you get up and down, the quality of sleep you get, your sleep talking and snoring. I found getting in sleep regimen, and when I get tired and ready to try to sleep, I turn it on and it records my sleep. It also has some relaxations stories, music, and other things in it to help you fall asleep. Getting data for my sleep also helped me focus on an important aspect of general health....sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back