• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporter Veteran husband, who’s currently a firefighter/paramedic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phojomama

New Here
Still trying to learn how to deal with my husband’s diagnosis and protect him against triggers as much as possible.

He’s a former combat medic and currently a firefighter/paramedic with 15 years of service. I recently had to send him away to the IAFF Center of Excellence inpatient facility for PTSD. He was gone for 35 days. Frankly, some days, it still feels like he’s gone.

The VA is dragging its feet on the disability claim saying they can’t find any of his records past basic training because he was flown home before his unit when his sister was killed by a drunk driver.

In our state, PTSD isn’t considered workman’s comp so I’m sure if he’d win an early pension. I’m afraid Fire will blame Army and Army-Fire. He feels stuck because he makes double my salary and has no other career prospects.

I almost lost him once, I feel like I’m fighting everyday to keep him alive.

Welcome to the community! :D

The VA is dragging its feet on the disability claim saying they can’t find any of his records past basic training because he was flown home before his unit when his sister was killed by a drunk driver.

I hear, ya. I spent years attempting to get my records... and had about determined to just bring a sleeping bag to St. Louis and camp in their waiting room until they got me the suckers... hired an attorney, and he had them that afternoon. :banghead:

Welcome to the forums!

First of all take a deep breath.... Now let it out. ?

You found a great place for support and information about PTS. I have learned so much from the people here who are so kind and brave to share their experiences with us.

Read around the forums and take a look at the articles and the supporter section.

I'm sorry things are so difficult and scary right now. Sending you and your Veteran support.

@Friday, that makes me want to cry and beat the crap out of....someone. ?

Still trying to learn how to deal with my husband’s diagnosis and protect him against triggers as much as possible.

He’s a former combat medic and currently a firefighter/paramedic with 15 years of service. I recently had to send him away to the IAFF Center of Excellence inpatient facility for PTSD. He was gone for 35 days. Frankly, some days, it still feels like he’s gone.

In our state, PTSD isn’t considered workman’s comp so I’m sure if he’d win an early pension. I’m afraid Fire will blame Army and Army-Fire. He feels stuck because he makes double my salary and has no other career prospects.

I almost lost him once, I feel like I’m fighting everyday to keep him alive.

Hello!

I'm not a veteran, but I am a retired firefighter/EMT. I had 15 years on the job before I made a dramatic exit (by being buried in a roof/wall collapse and ending up burned and with fractured vertebrae). I was diagnosed with PTSD connected to that incident, along with a lot of other smaller traumas that built up over my career. I worked in a busy urban department with plenty of bad stuff for us to respond to. I'm retired on a medical pension. In my state, it is very difficult to get your medical retirement based on PTSD if you are a firefighter. Difficult, but not impossible. That said, if your state allows it, then I would encourage the two of you to pursue it. Sure, it'll be a lot of hoops to jump through, but worth it in the end. If I may ask, how was his experience with the IAFF Center? (You can message me privately if you'd like). I went through a BAD spell this summer and considered going myself, but I'm not sure if they take retirees or if you have to be currently on the job.

As I'm sure you know, PTSD in the fire service is still something of a taboo subject, though the IAFF and some departments are really trying to change that and raise awareness. I've gone through some very dark periods, and in fact, I'm kind of in one now. Mine is magnified by the fact that my injuries still cause moderate to severe pain on a daily basis. PTSD and Pain do not work and play well together. Reading your post, I realized that your words could have just as easily been typed by my wife. It's little consolation, I know, but your husband does have one brother on this board. The Fire Service is a family and we have to take care of our own.

Regards,
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back