• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Waking Up in Fear and Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Nirvana

MyPTSD Pro
I have been waking up in a state of fear and panic the last two nights. I think something is about to come into my consciousness.

I had a dream last night that wasn't a nightmare but it indicated that I was tired and worn down and that there is something that needs to be fixed and I don't have the energy to do it right now.

So if a person doesn't pay attention to their dreams what do you think when you wake up two nights in a row in fear and panic? Does something in your life usually follow, like a bad memory?

Tammy

My dreams tend to be a reflection of my inner turmoil. The problem I have is that I can't remember the last time that I have not been awoken by a bad dream.

I guess that this perhaps highlights that you are doing great? I would say that there is something bubbling under the surface. You more than likely know what it is too! You are ignoring this and the dreams are your subconscious kicking you in the butt. :wink:

Dreams are just another part of our early warning systems, that something needs addressing -IMHO
It could be a memory or a waking life event, situation, person.

Spirit x

seeking nirvana-
i've always believed that dreams have meant something whether it be major or minor in its significance. without getting into the religious aspect of what i believe, i think dreams can be a way of your mind trying to work through its problems. i had a psychiatrist tell me once that dreams are your body's way of trying to filter or get rid of certain emotions that may be troubling you. lets face it, there are certain things that life throws at us which i don't think anyone would consider "normal". but i think that the body has certain self defense mechanisms on the mental side of the house as well as the physical. as a medic, i see more of the physical compensations that the body makes for there being a lack of something else. for example, people with certain back pain issues have the tendency to walk, sit or stand in a position that is most comfortable for them without causing pain. this position is usually not how they would do this but they do it as a pain relief, so the body compensates. i believe it is the same with dreams. i hope that made sense and didn't confuse you. respectfully, SM

unsettling thoughts and dreams

I also can't remember a "normal" night of restful sleep. Haven't had one in years.

Usually when I have an unsettling dream, (not nightmare) I try to key in on the physical feelings or predominant people in the dream to try and figure out what the issue may be.

I agree it is an indicator of something disturbing you either in your daily grind or from your subconscious from your past that has been triggered unknowingly.

When I realize for example, In the dream I am feeling it difficult to get a breath or breathe it possibly indicates a reflection to two of the situations of my abuse OR my asthma is bothering me and I haven't noticed.

If a person in the dream is acting a certian way, doing certian things, or is someone I know, I again look for the parallels. I try to identify what it is that stands out - Past or present?

I have found if I can identify the specifics it lowers my anxiety and I can reduce my hypervigilence. When the dreams become uncomfortable and I don't know why I will avoid sleep rather than getting hit over and over with the unknown. NOT HEALTHY.

Hope this helps.

When I get really stressed I have dreams where I suddenly realize I'm dreaming but I can't MOVE. All I can do is try to yell for help or "please wake me up!" Eeg. For me those kinds of dreams, or waking up from a dream feeling scared is evidence that I'm not doing very well and that i should watch my stress levels.

Nothing is wrong at the moment and I am confused as to why I'm waking up in fear.

The dream just had a feeling of being overwhelmed. and something in my life needs fixed but I was to tired to deal with it in the dream. It's a long dream and it's difficult to explain how I came to this conclusion.

I have a session with my T next week and we are going to discuss my possible repressed memory of molestation as a child.

Maybe because I know I have to talk about it, this is causing anxiety on a subconscious level. Other than that I have no other reason to be like this.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Tammy

The short answer for me is no, nothing necessarily follows. Occasionally it does.

But generally it's worry or anxiety over something. Or anticipation of fear, which may be what is happening in your case.

I usually only wake up in fear and panic when I am unusually stressed, such as relationship problems or money woes. I do not have dreams that cause the panic, it is more like I awaken just enough to think about the things that are troubling me and I become adrenalized.

When I have dreams that trouble me I try very hard to remember the specifics of them so I can connect them to what is going on in my life. I can usually find a lot of relevant things in my dreams that teach me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back