• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Wanting to quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoAngel

New Here
Cold turkey I was able to go 16-24 hours before withdrawals started. My symptoms 10 folded and it scared me. I haven't been that angry since before I started smoking a year ago. Suggestions on the best course? I really don't want my significant other to see me like that.

I quit cold turkey 14 yrs ago. The anger, rage, anxiety and all other emotions were out of control... But I stuck with it and with the help of 30 Xanax. That’s all my dr would give me and she told me to use them sparingly..... I did and I did quit. Not easy!!! I suggest just sticking with it....

Good luck!!!

Cold turkey quitter here10.5 years ago (after trying nicotine patches, nicotine gum, and wellbutirn to no avail). The first two months were pure hell, but it smoothed out much better that I expected.

Tools that greatly helped me:
  • a speed bag both at work and at home (punching bag)
  • primal screaming into my pillow, in my car, or out in the forest is a great release of energy on any occasion
  • carried one of those stress ball squishy thingies with me
  • giant bottles of water went with me every where I roamed (p.s. - never pass up the chance to pee...lol!!!), with lemon/lime/orange wedges/cucumber slices/berries/herbs like mint/etc. in it to jazz it up some
  • lots of variety of gums, mints, lifesavers, carrots, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. cut into sticks about the same size of cigs taken with me every where (I had a small cooler I'd tote with me)
  • "comfort" junk foods of whatever random craving hit in the moment
  • kept looking at actual photos of internal damage of long term smokers
  • kept a chart handy of benefits after certain lengths of time quitting
  • lots of loud music with my headphones on got me through

I only physically snatched one person up by their shirt collar, and that was after they blew smoke in my direction as a "joke", but felt like snatching many more. lol

Hardest damn thing I had ever tried to stop....and I was moody, hateful, pissed off, was gaining weight, and miserable for quite some time...but managed to never light another one up and eventually lost that weight and a lot more. That's one of the few things I managed to quit before it became urgent and/or medically necessary.

When I most recently flipped the script on my overall consumption habits by giving up meat, dairy, eggs, gluten, caffeine, and alcohol, it sort of seemed like the cigs were a breeze. lol But I very much remember the struggle.

Wishing you well in your attempts. Sending vibes of much strength to kick their little asses. They certainly do put up one hell of a fight.

Cold turkey I was able to go 16-24 hours before withdrawals started. My symptoms 10 folded and it s...

I have switched to vaping. It has allowed me to quit because vaping takes care of a couple of psychological aspects smokers appreciate.

Yes there are words of caution out there about vaping. Considering the toxic compounds of burning tobacco, for a smoker, vaping is a worthy risk.

You can get low dose nicotine levels to help edge the cravings but you'll still get some of the enjoyment from smoking in much better alternative. 3 months and counting! I'm a believer!

Cold turkey I was able to go 16-24 hours before withdrawals started. My symptoms 10 folded and it s...
I listened to Paul McKenna's hypnosis CD "Quit Smoking Today" every night before I fell asleep. I continued smoking without trying to stop, then one morning I woke up not wanting to smoke at all, don't even remember what it feels like, had no withdrawal symptoms, and even though that was almost 6 years ago, no cravings since then. This is after years of going cold turkey, using nicotine sprays, patches, Chantex, in person hypnosis, etc. I then listened to his CD for 3 more nights after I had stopped, and I've never looked back. If you order his book used, just make sure the CD is included. McKenna does things on the CD to distract the conscious mind that cannot be done in person. You'll get there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back