• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General We need a little organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpea76

Between the "PTSD Brain" and his TBIs, my vet is having a very hard time getting anything done... even non-stressful things that he enjoys and wants to do.

I've tried to help him organize, but I'm a little too color-coded and hyper-organized because of my work. It's too much for him to process.

Any tips for keeping a schedule or to-do list going that isn't going to stress him out? I don't want him stressing about deadlines that aren't anything to stress about, or feeling like a failure if he doesn't get everything done on his list.

I'm struggling with organization as well. I think what helps is to know that if I mess up, it's not the end of the world and also scheduling down time is essential. Just "me time" where I can do whatever I want. Having that in a schedule really helps. Other PTSD sufferer have expressed the same thing.

Also my therapist said to get unused thus unneeded things out of the house. Not minimization exactly but the less things around the easier it is to organize as it's way less overwhelming.

I'm not sure if this helps at all. It's an area I also struggle with.

I have problems with that sort of thing too. Usually, I feel a bit like the fire department, trying to identify the most dangerous fire so I get to it in time.

There are different solutions for different problems. (I have a box near the door where I put my keys & wallet, first thing when I walk in, so I don't spend time looking for there. It HAS to be right by the door.
Bids that need to be paid are stuck to the wall by the desk with a dissecting needle (don't ask) so I remember to pay them. If nothing is stuck to the wall, nothing is due. Unless I forgot.... Sometimes, if there's a lot I want to remember to do, I make a list, maybe in order of priority and then cross stuff of add it gets done. (Just occurred to me I could get a white board and stick it up somewhere to avoid losing the list.)

What helps me is to set it up so I trip over it, that way I remember.

My T tried to introduce lists to me once... and you are right it doesn't work for everyone. I failed at every stage- even creating the list was a flop- I couldn't think ahead far enough for what i needed to do. It really makes you feel like a big failure. I hate lists, post it notes but that's just me. I had to find my own way of organising myself, having people remind me of things are helpful, but now I rely on my phone- everything is on an App. I have an app where you can colour code the days if you want I know when I'm supposed to be at certain places and I can add notes for activities or things I need to do, it works for me.

Another PTSD sufferer... I need seperate lists.
(1) Today's tasks: things that I am really committed to getting done today, or appointments I really need to keep. on a bad day, I keep it down around 1-2, on a really good day I might be able to have 5-6. Everything else - no matter how important/urgent - has to go on the optional or long-term list, or I risk shutting down.
(2) Today's possibilities/optional: a mix of things I would very much like to get done today, and ideas/plans for fun and self-care.
(3) Long-term list: contains everything else. The optional stuff that didn't happen yesterday, the deadlines that are far enough in the future that they aren't yet making the "today" lists, etc. I draw from this list when writing my daily to-do lists.

I dunno how practical all this is in your particular (two-person) situation. I can picture both people writing the long-term list, and each person writing their own daily lists...

I see that since I started writing this, others have replied. What @scout86 said sounds about right for me.

Would making it a "goal" list be better than a "to-do" list?

I run my kids and myself off a big wall calendar and a whiteboard for to-do lists and reminders. We also have a wall mounted file holder with slots for each person's mail. I'm visual, so I need a "command center" by my back door that I see. He seems to do OK with his appointments on the calendar, but I haven't added him into the whiteboard mix.

Would having him put his list up with ours be overwhelming?

That is a good point... he'd know if it was too much. I'm overthinking and trying to problem solve for him. I'll definitely give him the reigns, but I was hoping to have some ideas or options to give him.

He was supposed to have some cognitive rehab through the VA, but he has yet to get any. I can't help but think it'd be useful in finding out ways to cope with memory and train of thought issues. Easier to give him a pill than actually treat him, I reckon.

A goal list in order of priorities. Top 3 items being the most important, Next 3 being things that it would be nice if he can do at his leisure, and last 3 being stuff that he can do only if he really feels like it, but it isn't a big deal if they don't get done. I would keep the list short hence 9 items broken into categories of 3.

The problem I have with making lists is that I will avoid looking at them. For me personally figuring out my motivations helps. For me personally, that motivation is to make the live of people around me easier, but I have to consciously be thinking about it.

I wonder if there is an app that will beep or something to remind, maybe with motivational stuff. Maybe in the style of a fit bit app. If it helps to encourage people to be more healthy, something similar might encourage people to stay organized.

I wonder if there is an app that will beep or something to remind, maybe with motivational stuff. Maybe in the style of a fit bit app. If it helps to encourage people to be more healthy, something similar might encourage people to stay organized.

There is an App I used to use that you could text your future self tasks or reminders- and for everyday things you could put it on repeat. It used to be really helpful. Not sure I can put the App name on here but let me know if you want the name of it if you think it could be helpful.

For my sufferer, as he became more symptomatic, a basic whiteboard was quite helpful for him. He wrote down what he needed to accomplish, I would add things that "we" needed to happen, that were things he had to do (ie, working with his insurance, etc), he'd figure them out in his own way. If it got to be too much, and it HAD to happen with a deadline, we'd figure out how to make it work (which usually meant I'd make the call or whatever and have him verify it was ok to talk to me).

Now that he's isolating, the whiteboard isn't even being used. He lives very much day to day and what he is capable of doing on a given day, with a basic "Mondays are grocery days, order them on Sunday night for pickup on Monday" kind of thing. When he remembers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back