• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Weighted blanket and other measures for better sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

siniang

Policy Enforcement
I suffer from chronic fatigue, have been for the better part of the last decade or so. It's not that I don't sleep enough (I average 8-9hrs in bed), but I don't seem to get restful sleep. I often wake up feeling like I've been run over by a truck, not seldom head-achy. I wake up a lot during the night, but never have trouble falling back asleep.

A sleep study earlier this year didn't shed any real light on this. I don't have sleep apnea. They found slight restless leg, but otherwise no significantly increased arousal or change to my sleep phases.

I don't suffer from frequent nightmares, but I did see an increase in early-night hallucinations that make me jerk out of bed over the last year or so, and I do have occasional night terrors (every several months). I think most of my PTSD symptoms are night-time related. Like increased hypervigilance.

Recently, I've been hurting quite a bit at night with lower back pain and pain in other areas/joints. (not sure if we need a new mattress, this one isn't THAT old yet). Wakes me up often, in addition.

So, bottom-line, I sleep like crap. Lately I've been toying with the idea of getting a weighted blanket and just give it a try. Since it's supposed to help with stress, anxiety etc. What are your experiences? I'm a little worried that it might get too hot (sleeping with the window open is not an option, no A/C available). I also prefer to actually kind of wrap myself, I don't like open ends.

I've also been thinking what else I could change/still try that I haven't tried, yet. My PsyDoc mentioned I could use ear plugs as to not wake up at every slightest sound, but the sheer thought of NOT being able to hear sounds drives my hypervigilance/anxiety through the roof. Not sure if white noise would help... I know we tried it a couple of times, but hubby slept considerably worse when we had it on.

Last edited:
I had a really nice experience under a weighted blanket but only for a few minutes. I'm seeing conflicting information...some say you should only use them intermittently...some say to sleep all night under them. Seems like glass beads are used in some of the top makers. The use of a duvet cover with the actual blanket makes them mush warmer, maybe you could use one without.

I'm thinking about getting one, maybe a heavy throw, not sure.

I'd be interested in others experiences with them too.

May be time for insomnia meds. I have it. I didn't sleep very well last night ( the stress of the ? maybe) but usually I sleep like a baby. I'm just saying... I've never tried a weighted blanket, though.

I'm seeing conflicting information...

yeah, me too, and it's just a tad too pricey to "just give it a try and see", to be honest.

I often feel like I slept like a stone, but would still wake up exhausted.

Since it started getting cooler at night, I often wake up in the morning with two cats on me. Given that I'm rather small, I guess that's almost like a weighted blanket? :laugh: I like it, so maybe I should really get a weighted blanket?

One thing I noticed I really hate is that I always end up sleeping on my back because on my stomach my neck starts to hurt like hell and on my side the shoulders to. It's hit or miss whether my back will start hurting when sleeping on the back, but I somehow don't actually feel comfortable...more exposed I guess?

One thing that I've seen is that a weighted blanked my cause more vivid dreams...which might not be the best thing for someone with PTSD?

But yeah, I'm really open to more suggestions for anything that might help - minus meds. Not gonna take sleep meds :)

We already sleep with a thick blanket and one, sometimes two throws (depending how cold it is). I know that I don't like heavy blankets that hang off on the sides (again, need to be able to tuck under feet etc.), but maybe a smaller, weighted blanket would actually be different?

Two cats could work lol. I went to the dentist the other day and they used one of those lead aprons on me while I lay in the chair. It was very calming in the moment.

Before sleep, I also like meditation on my safe place or progressive muscle relaxation. That always feels grounding and gets my body ready for sleep...my body can guide my mind into calmer states. I need to do that more often.

I try to make my bedroom clean and organized...nothing laying around or cluttering...that makes me feel calm too before bed.

Washing my face is a nice ritual, really I should shower before bed, that can be really nice.

Im also going to get a couple of smart LED color changing and dimmable bulbs (LIFX A19) from amazon so I can really set a calming mood in my bedroom. My ongoing project is to make my space more and more comfortable and calming.

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and nothing seems to improve the quality of my sleep, but I did get a diagnosis of sleep apnea and am being treated for that which helps a little bit. Plus there are things that I do to try and get a good night's sleep.

I purchased a 3-inch thick memory foam mattress topper to lie on top of my regular mattress. It does help me rest a bit easier, but then I have fibromyalgia and it tends to hurt everywhere my body touches the bed, after a while. So, I continue to struggle.

I have not tried a weighted blanket yet and do not know what to expect from one but it may well be worth a try. If you try it please let us know your experience with it.

*I also like to be wrapped up and don't like my uncovered feet to be dangling from the bed as it tends to wake me up.

I do have PTSD nightmares, that is to say, anxiety nightmares that tend to be very disturbing so much so that my doctor prescribed Prazosin. I think this is a medicine that gets mixed reviews but it has helped me considerably. I don't know that it is something that you need as you mentioned that your nightmares are not frequent. But I mention it just in case.

I have an aromatherapy diffuser that I can add essential oil to, turn on and leave it on as I fall asleep. It seems to relax me. It changes color, which I really like and it can be set to go off after 1, 2, or 3 hours. I am still experimenting with the essential oils to find which works best for me. They don't really recommend regular fragrance oils but I use them sparingly and they add a nice touch. I especially like this one called Egyptian Dragon which is a blend of myrrh, dragons blood, and patchouli with notes of rose, jasmine, and woodsy musk. It is very relaxing but then it is best to experiment to see which works best for you. Sandalwood essential oil is highly recommended by some but it is very expensive, However, a sandalwood fragrance oil of good quality might serve as a suitable substitute. You just need to be aware that regular fragrance oils may eventually damage the diffuser. *(I think I paid like 25 dollars for mine).

I am on an oxygen concentrator and a C-pap machine for sleep apnea at night which produces white noise and helps me to get to sleep. Since hubby doesn't seem to do well with white noise, you might give nature soundings a try through noise-canceling headphones, but that may set off your hypervigilance. Just keep trying different things and hopefully, you will soon find things that work well for you.

I wish you all the best!!!
Lionheart

yeah, me too, and it's just a tad too pricey to "just give it a try and see", to be honest.

I often feel like I slept like a stone, but would still wake up exhausted.

Since it started getting cooler at night, I often wake up in the morning with two cats on me. Given that I'm rather small, I guess that's almost like a weighted blanket? :laugh: I like it, so maybe I should really get a weighted blanket?

One thing I noticed I really hate is that I always end up sleeping on my back because on my stomach my neck starts to hurt like hell and on my side the shoulders to. It's hit or miss whether my back will start hurting when sleeping on the back, but I somehow don't actually feel comfortable...more exposed I guess?

One thing that I've seen is that a weighted blanked my cause more vivid dreams...which might not be the best thing for someone with PTSD?

But yeah, I'm really open to more suggestions for anything that might help - minus meds. Not gonna take sleep meds :)

We already sleep with a thick blanket and one, sometimes two throws (depending how cold it is). I know that I don't like heavy blankets that hang off on the sides (again, need to be able to tuck under feet etc.), but maybe a smaller, weighted blanket would actually be different?
I doubt there's a rural King in Hawaii but if there is they have weighted blankets for $30.

I use a weighted blanket and I downloaded a white noise machine ap for my phone (Sleep-o). I turn the phone on airplane mode bc I'm a weirdo that wakes up feeling clogged up energetically if I'm getting notifications throughout the night.

I also have a magnesium lotion that I apply, and l-thianine that I can take orally if I need help falling asleep.

The white noise helps because if I'm feeling more hypervigilent I can turn down the volume to get more environmental sounds and if I'm trusting more that day I can turn it higher to block more.

I caved and bought a weighted blanket at Costco, yesterday. Not cheap, but I just really wanted to give this a try. I wasn't quite sure which weight to get, as I'm in-between the required 10-12% body weight for what's available. I opted for the heavier option.

It's not as bulky as I had feared, which is nice. And it's really soft. I didn't notice any significant changes while laying under it and I still woke up slightly exhausted this morning, but I don't remember waking multiple times during the night, which is progress (and can, of course, be just coincidence). It is kinda warm, but it didn't get too hot.

Im also going to get a couple of smart LED color changing and dimmable bulbs (LIFX A19) from amazon so I can really set a calming mood in my bedroom. My ongoing project is to make my space more and more comfortable and calming.

I love any and everything colored lights. We have multiple smart bulbs, I have a color changing night light etc. etc. But the hubby is sensitive, he says he sleeps worse when it's too bright, or even as disturbing as constantly changing colors, blinking etc.

(Yes, it has been suggested he could use a sleep mask)

I have an aromatherapy diffuser that I can add essential oil to, turn on and leave it on as I fall asleep. It seems to relax me. It changes color, which I really like and it can be set to go off after 1, 2, or 3 hours.

I have one, too. I love(d) it. But I found out that most essential oils are toxic to my pets, especially the ones that I prefer at night (such as eucalyptus, which also was helpful for hubby's allergies).

I would also actually wake up when it turns off (pattern change). My senses are this sensitive, somehow.

white noise machine ap for my phone (Sleep-o).
The white noise helps because if I'm feeling more hypervigilent I can turn down the volume to get more environmental sounds and if I'm trusting more that day I can turn it higher to block more.

Yeah, I have multiple apps. I don't quite like the actual white noise, but I love the nature sounds. Hubby doesn't. Again, he sleeps worse with this on.

Co-sleeping makes everything much more complicated, as things that seem to help, make it worse for him.

I caved and bought a weighted blanket at Costco, yesterday. Not cheap, but I just really wanted to give this a try. I wasn't quite sure which weight to get, as I'm in-between the required 10-12% body weight for what's available. I opted for the heavier option.

It's not as bulky as I had feared, which is nice. And it's really soft. I didn't notice any significant changes while laying under it and I still woke up slightly exhausted this morning, but I don't remember waking multiple times during the night, which is progress (and can, of course, be just coincidence). It is kinda warm, but it didn't get too hot.

I love any and everything colored lights. We have multiple smart bulbs, I have a color changing night light etc. etc. But the hubby is sensitive, he says he sleeps worse when it's too bright, or even as disturbing as constantly changing colors, blinking etc.

(Yes, it has been suggested he could use a sleep mask)

I have one, too. I love(d) it. But I found out that most essential oils are toxic to my pets, especially the ones that I prefer at night (such as eucalyptus, which also was helpful for hubby's allergies).

I would also actually wake up when it turns off (pattern change). My senses are this sensitive, somehow.

Yeah, I have multiple apps. I don't quite like the actual white noise, but I love the nature sounds. Hubby doesn't. Again, he sleeps worse with this on.

Co-sleeping makes everything much more complicated, as things that seem to help, make it worse for him.
I should add that my husband and I often sleep separately, as sleep is important and we have different needs. I need him to take sleep aids because he's so restless if he's going to share the bed and to also use the airplane mode phone setting. There are nights when he wants to be less restricted, or I am even more sensitive than usual and we just sleep in different rooms. He was opposed to this at first until I helped him understand that I was not intending to use this as a "separation" but rather a time for us to have our own space because it's hard to compromise constantly.

I had a really nice experience under a weighted blanket but only for a few minutes. I'm seeing conflicting information...some say you should only use them intermittently...some say to sleep all night under them. Seems like glass beads are used in some of the top makers. The use of a duvet cover with the actual blanket makes them mush warmer, maybe you could use one without.

I'm thinking about getting one, maybe a heavy throw, not sure.

I'd be interested in others experiences with them too.

I find in the winter, when I keep my thermostat low at night, I sleep better when it is cool and a mink blanket is heavier than a standard blanket, but lighter than a weighted blanket. It is not animal mink....these were originally made in Korea. Find one with a 10 lb weight is nice, and they don't look therapeutic....they are beautiful. I sleep much better under a mink blanket due to the added weight.

Thanks @TruthSeeker , that sounds nice. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the one offered by costco, $80 seems reasonable and I know they only sell quality stuff. I do keep it cool year around myself at around 73f so a warmer one doesn't worry me too much. I have read that sleeping under a weighted blanket every night can desensitize a person from the positive effects. I'm thinking about a 20 lb 48'x72' could be left folded at the foot of my bed for use anytime.

A mink blanket sounds amazing though..I'll have to look around and see what's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back