• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Weird Thread: Do Drive Thru Businesses Reinforce Isolation or Symptoms in Folks with PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
A weird revelation-any thoughts?
So, I've been a little more isolated lately, and it's all about how fast can I get things done and get back home (where it's safe, comfortable, and predictable).I stopped at the bank and got money....at the drive thru, then I had to make an appointment at Toyota, so I drive my car into the bay and make an appointment-didn't have to get out of my car there either, to make the appointment-just tell my name and a time of availability. Next, I went to pick up my meds....and the drive thru window called to me (I hadn't used it before)--but I didn't have to do anything but say my name....no conversation really and I didn't get sidetracked buying other stuff. Got thirsty and drove across the street to McDonalds-where do you suppose I went....drive thru-no conversation except telling my order and saying thank you. Lastly, in my head, I needed to get home, so I wished they had a drive thru for the Food Lion grocery store cause I was running low on food. I drove over, and what did I see? Parking slots with signs, grocery pick up. No kidding, and it was then I thought.....how my experience in the drive thru is reinforcing my isolation (and reducing my exercise-steps).
I could have just called in my grocery order, and driven on up....avoiding the lines and people-just as I had done everywhere else. Unfortunately, it is much easier to isolate these days....as we are becoming more and more a drive-thru society.....and combined with technology (cell phones, computers, text).....making life quicker....faster communication-it is less real feeling. Drive thrus are kinda like moving cattle along in single file....and all they do is moo to tell you something....my conclusion, drive thru's reinforce isolation and in turn, reinforce PTSD symptoms.
How did I come to this conclusion? Thinking back at other occasions when I'd get out of the car, physically have to walk in and maneuver around the store and have f2f conversations with people, bump into people I hadn't seen, or encountering a funny interaction with the lady or the cute kid in the grocery isle that made me smile-I think I felt better having a more authentic experience in the store......w the drive thru....like home, it is pretty predictable........I just check off a box that a chore was completed and don't make real meaningful conversation beyond telling the info to "get something." So, maybe if all I want is to exist, then the drive thru is okay. If I want more human contact, than maybe I ought to park and get out and go inside. While convenient, I think I may be losing opportunities for positive interation with others, and need to rethink the use of the drive-thru as maybe it is reinforcing PTSD symptoms-esp. when I know I'm symptomatic.

Depends which way you look at it.

Could also be a nice stepping stone out of isolation; being able to get out of the house, run select chores and regain a level of normalcy in public places, whilst interacting with limited (yet still above zero) people.

// is the (stress) cup half empty or half full, type of thing, perhaps?

Or just, same means to a different end (hope I got that one round the right way -- it's three am ;) )

Depends which way you look at it.

Could also be a nice stepping stone out of isolation; being able to get out of the house, run select chores and regain a level of normalcy in public places, whilst interacting with limited (yet still above zero) people.

// is the (stress) cup half empty or half full, type of thing, perhaps?

Or just, same means to a different end (hope I got that one round the right way -- it's three am ;) )

Yeah, kinda thought it both ways.....but right now....teetering on isolation....drive thru makes it easier to just give in....

Unfortunately, it is much easier to isolate these days
Or, conversely, not having to waste time with strangers allows one tremendous more time with their friends & loved ones.

// is the (stress) cup half empty or half full, type of thing, perhaps? )
<grin> Or perhaps I should say, rather than conversely, one possibility.

Not wasting finite reserves on “Hello Human” encounters? Can be pretty priceless.

An excerpt from something I wrote a few years back about why I isolate
Another reason is simply that I'm tired. The more involved a relationship is, the more energy goes into it. For me, there are different stages.

- Intimate relationships (family & close friends),
- close relationships (work, occasional friends),
- brief purposeful encounters (church, PTA/ other parents),
- hello human (gas station, post carrier, waitress).

I, quite frankly, don't have the energy to deal with everyone all the time. So I make choices, and pull back in order to protect myself. I know when I'm at either end of the spectrum (only interacting with family or gas station attendants) that I'm going off the rails. (If I'm even avoiding my mailman and the gas station Attendant... I've already gone off the rails. Past tense. Toast.).

@Friday I knew when I wrote this thread, there'd be differences of opinion on this topic. I see very few people....when in active trauma, saw no one.....so I guess then....looking back, drive thrus were a blessing...I could still eat, didn't have to cook, get my car fixed, and then....I lived on pizza....so I could last 3-4 days on one pizza. I never looked at it as a time saver....or more time with friends-1 friend 45 min away, once a week, 0 loved ones I see with NC to stay healthy within 2 days drive, 1 neighbor I teach music to, and 1 art teacher.....0 counselor right now.....and aqua aerobics....church activity 1 time per month......yeah....kinda limited in social options.....but I see your perspective. I really need to do better than this. Looks pitiful on paper.

Last edited:
Social isolation is one of the ways that ptsd avoidance plays out.

Avoidance is a much bigger umbrella term, and I’m wondering if that may be a more helpful place to examine this from?

Because if I’m going down the social avoidance path? I ain’t interacting with the drive-thru staff just for a drink! But, that’s me.

The getting a drink one seemed to really pop out at me, because - is that normal? When did, “Need drink, maccas drive thru” happen in the brain, and why?

What about: Need drink - I’m thirsty, that’s a big deal, maybe I’ll hit pause on the auto-function going on, buy myself a drink and pause function and being constantly moving and doing stuff...to just have a drink, quench my thirst, and be present in that moment...?

Am I right thinking that getting a drink in drive thru meant you kept driving after? Without actually stopping long enough to take a moment out to quench your thirst?

That’s not me putting my Safety Auditor helmet on. That’s me wondering if drive-thru isn’t just social avoidance here, but serving that “constant motion” form of dissociation we get stuck in sometimes? Like stopping for a few minutes (in this case to enjoy a drink) is almost as scary as interacting with people? Because, it may feel like you don’t, but probably you do have 3 minutes up your sleeve to actually stop and just be drinking your drink. Maybe that creates a bit of rush later on, but not stopping, ever (which you get with drive thru) is a form of avoidance all of its own.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe just plain ol’ social isolation.

Social isolation is one of the ways that ptsd avoidance plays out.

Avoidance is a much bigger umbrella term, and I’m wondering if that may be a more helpful place to examine this from?

Because if I’m going down the social avoidance path? I ain’t interacting with the drive-thru staff just for a drink! But, that’s me.

The getting a drink one seemed to really pop out at me, because - is that normal? When did, “Need drink, maccas drive thru” happen in the brain, and why?

What about: Need drink - I’m thirsty, that’s a big deal, maybe I’ll hit pause on the auto-function going on, buy myself a drink and pause function and being constantly moving and doing stuff...to just have a drink, quench my thirst, and be present in that moment...?

Am I right thinking that getting a drink in drive thru meant you kept driving after? Without actually stopping long enough to take a moment out to quench your thirst?

That’s not me putting my Safety Auditor helmet on. That’s me wondering if drive-thru isn’t just social avoidance here, but serving that “constant motion” form of dissociation we get stuck in sometimes? Like stopping for a few minutes (in this case to enjoy a drink) is almost as scary as interacting with people? Because, it may feel like you don’t, but probably you do have 3 minutes up your sleeve to actually stop and just be drinking your drink. Maybe that creates a bit of rush later on, but not stopping, ever (which you get with drive thru) is a form of avoidance all of its own.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe just plain ol’ social isolation.

@Sideways Yeah....it's avoidance........but I'm not thinking it is the dissociation associated with driving around in a fog....not that I haven't. The drink-total coke addiction-I always have a coke, warm or cold bad habit....so gotta have a coke is a habit....it's my comfort food, .........trying to work on that really very hard and having success-this week down to 20oz/day from like 80oz day-lost 3 lbs this week!

Nope, I don't know the Mckee Ds staff by name or face.....just some person taking my card, handing it back with a receipt, and driving to the next window to grab my drink.....and drive and drink to the next pull through but I have no desire to sit in a fast food restaurant and look at people alone.....In my car, I might be listening to music or singing a song-so I'm grounded......but in a restaurant, I just sit and stare at other people doing their thing. My car is a safe place ....like my home is. So, when I read it like that....yep....avoidance.....my car is like a rolling house, locked doors and all. On that day, if I had known about the Food Lion bringing out my groceries free of charge-oh yeah, I'da bought a whole couple 6 packs of coke-and saved money.

I think it's a combination of both....there's a part of me that wishes they didn't have drive thrus....they feel enabling.

I am shocked by how much in the States is drive through. I think it’s isolating because you don’t built up the very boundaried safe face to face interactions AND the small amounts of physical movement that we know is healthy.

As for in complete isolation? Drive through doesn’t help break that. In complete isolation I don’t have to go out. Meds can be mailed or delivered, food delivered, or I admit I have gone without many days ?.

I now will go in a few small stores again. I have a routine stop on Thursday. A routine stop on Tuesday. These are safe outings where people don’t know my name or anything but recognise my face. These really very remote contacts are people who would say, in a. Investigation into a death say ‘oh yeah, that Woman hasn’t been in for her coffee for about two weeks’. This is the cessation of total isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back