• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical What constitutes a "medical trauma?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I am unable to go to any healthcare provider without an immense amount of anxiety, dread, tears, and more anxiety. Rather than be able to associate it with one major traumatic event, I see my reactions as related to multiple events during which the "care" I was offered was harmful in some way. Too much medicine, a refusal to accept my suicidal thinking as anything other than trying to get attention, misdiagnosis of pneumonia (symptoms attributed to depression), misdiagnosis of chronic kidney disease (I just don't have it), insistence I take meds that were causing intense, impulsive suicidal thinking, refusal to acknowledge/treat constant pelvic pain, etc....I have probably 2 dozen examples. I've come to a point where I don't feel heard by anyone, where nothing I say to doctors is taken with any sincerity, where nowhere and no one in the medical community feels safe.

I definitely experience trauma reactions to medical care. I cry uncontrollably, explode in anger, shake, or just avoid the whole mess. My blood pressure is always high when I see a provider - but fine at all other times. Taken alone, all the many things I've had to deal with medically would be no big deal, but these things happen over and over again and are outside the "norm" for good medical care.

So...can the accumulation of these sorts of things constitute "trauma," in the ptsd (or complex ptsd) sense? Or am I just being a baby? (LOL)

Nope...I have medical trauma as well...and a few others, too....but medical trauma hugely impacted my life. I was fine one day, disabled the next with multiple types of seizures. My parents drank and put their heads in the sand. I was so very drugged, incoherent, and still seizing....and in high school.....I lost my friends, lost my ability to read being over drugged, and was failing.....after being a consistent honor roll student. I didn't want to go to school, I was that girl on the floor....not anyone's friend.....and I hated public places.

So most definately, medical trauma can screw up your life....and cause PTSD. Things always were problematic changing drugs, and that feeling of being out of control and drugged...so very triggering....and I'd revert....and wouldn't go out, would stay nearer the bed or in the bedroom where it felt safer.

And doctors.....any head docs like a psychiatrist, neurologist, always set me off and raise my blood pressure. I'm so much better now, but I recall a cold sweat going in the doctors office many times and higher blood pressure. If I go to a nurse practitioner for just regular medical things.....it is much easier.

My daughter suffered from medical trauma....she had to have a hysterectomy at 16....so, I think it's probably more common than we think.

Thank you, @TruthSeeker. My medical issues actually started with epilepsy, although the first seizure I had was a result of a very high dose of an antidepressant I was prescribed. Things went (and stayed) downhill from there. The constant switching of meds and feeling so out of control; yeah, I absolutely get that. It's funny, though. I had brain surgery in 2006 (unrelated to the epilepsy) and it was the BEST medical experience I had (and have) ever had.

I also manage PAs or nurse practitioners much better. Still a problem, but not as great a one.

You said you were doing better - was there something you did that helped?

In the last couple of years, I have begun a new med....Briviact.....awesome med only been in the US a few years. Depakote made me so sick....and extra vulnerable-I didn't smell, feel much, or care on Depakote. This new drug, is unlike any other I've been on....fewer side effects...and no behavioral issues or negativity with this one.

Coupling that with me first attitude -a preventive mindset for avoiding triggers (getting ample daily protein, B-12 injections monthly, vitamin D (50,000 mg/week), sleep a super priority (7 total hrs minimum) and more regular aerobic exercise, three meals a day, and lots of stress reduction (I walked away from the family to get healthy-wish it wasn't necessary but it was). Reduction of non-essential meds, increase in daily vitamins, and a huge part-targeting mood.....doing happy stuff.....self-pleasing things that require thinking, learning, and creativity-things to look forward to and be proud of. I also journey....that is helpful with stress and problem solving. No drugs, nicotine, or alcohol. I can't stand the drugged feeling.

Changing the chemistry in my head has been my goal to re-building the neural bundles and my life and increasing my social circle and community and purpose in life. I attack it from many angles...I try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back