• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What did you do today to work towards emotional regulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms spock

MyPTSD Pro
I have been working for quite some time to manage my emotional, physical, intellectual and etc dysregulation. So I am trying to focus on what I am doing each day that is a positive that helps me work and move towards emotional regulation, that helps me get out of emotional dysregulation.

Today - exercise, movement, listening to music, playing music, going to a lesson, doing something hard to push myself, speaking to a friend, breathing, engaging positively with people, standing up for myself, giving myself down time and pulling apart my distorted cognitions.

What is one thing that you did today to help you stop being so dysregulated?

I walked for 1 hour this morning from 5.45am until 6.45am. Exercise is a very important of emotional regulation for me.

I am also taking part in "The Happiness Challenge" which @DharmaGirl is running. Thanks @DharmaGirl!

I am surrounding myself with people who are committed to working hard on their recovery. There are so many people on this forum who are doing so many things to assist their own recovery.

I am being much more assertive and not reactive. I am really improving out of sight.

I had a bath last night and put myself to bed earlier so I could take the fear out of the night. I did remember to do more self soothing things for myself. So I slept better last night. My sleep is highly variable so it is all over the place. I choose not to stress over my sleep anymore.

I told my partner that his partner that he is choosing to eat a poor diet and after the work that I did assisting him getting better, that I am not happy about that.

I did a lot this evening. Any one of the activities would usually send me into a panic attack. I kept the anxiety manageable by deliberately speaking (chatting) with each person I interacted with while being sure to make eye contact. I'm learning eye contact is critical to my regulation.

Continued my daily routines (breathing on purpose, moving in fun ways, eating food that healthily nourishes my body rather than just entertaining my taste buds, not allowing others to be the boss of my thoughts) that have led me down a much healthier and happier path.

Shared a lot of quality time with three amazing kids this week who offered up belly laughs, deep conversations, movie watching pals, story telling pals, cooking buddies, walking buddies, singing and dancing buddies, chore assistance, hair braiding buddies, bouncing on the mini-trampoline buddies, and some of the best hugs ever. So many belly laughs!

Made 20 hula hoops to share at a music event this weekend...instead of buy one get one free, it's going to be try one, get one free.

Drove home in the middle of the night tonight instead of waiting until morning with lots of traffic.

Allowed the tears and sentiments to flow as I crossed over the river my aunt chose to end her life in.

Setting clear limits and boundaries.
Walking dog in nature for an hour.
Discussing with B how to manage interpersonal politics at his prac work.
Did half an hour of Mindfulness as soon I got up.
Practised musical instrument.
Got more organised - got up and put a load of washing and got all that happening. One load on line and one load to be hung up, and one load washing now.
Cooked breakfast with fresh side salad.
Negotiated with B - didn't let things fester.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back