• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

what do you do to get out of that depressed mood when everything is dark and dreary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope4us

Policy Enforcement
i know i have ptsd which can cause these depressed moods sometimes but i think i also have bi-polar because i use to get prescribed lamictal which is a mood stabilizer for bi-polar disorder. until i stopped taking it because of the things i heard about it. sometimes i feel happy or at least content, but sometimes i get into these really horrible depressing moods where i wish i was never born and just hate life and have nothing but negative thoughts. it usually last a few hours, but theres been times when its lasted for a whole day. and i recall one manic episode that i had. i was super talkative and my thoughts were racing, and i think i was driving people nuts because i wouldnt shut up. but right now i feel like im slowly sinking into that dreadful terrible depressive mood that i get sometimes. when i get that way there is nothing in the world that can excite me, everything is just so dull and blaahhhh. i dont know how to get out of that bad mood because when i get like that the things that normally make me happy are just so dull and dont excite me like they normally do. i havent noticed anything specific that helps me get out of it, it seems like i just have to give it time and wait a few hours and than eventally i gradually get to a better mood. what would you suggest i do to get out of the bad mood quicker, so i wont have to give it time? i dont want to waste any more time sitting on my bed disabled and crying my eyes out.

Sorry you aren't feeling well today. When I slip into that black hole I find myself laying in bed a lot and not showering, I hunker down and isolate. So I try to break the depressive times by doing those things, shower, get dressed in clean clothing, sit outside, exercise is great but the last thing I want to do when I'm in that state.

Turn the mind to gratitude, we have that thread somewhere. Write down a couple of things you are grateful for, the warm blanket you use all the time, hot water out of the showerhead, a friend or relationship, an animal...really anything to flip the brain around. Listening to uplifting music or sitting outside with nature.

Our thoughts create our emotions so I try to introduce positivity and shine a bright light on all the good.

Hope you feel better.

but i think i also have bi-polar because i use to get prescribed lamictal which is a mood stabilizer for bi-polar disorder.
I don't know if this will be useful to know - but lamictal is also prescribed for unipolar depression. Essentially, what it does is dull the extremes at the bottom of depression, and cap off the top of the mania.
i havent noticed anything specific that helps me get out of it, it seems like i just have to give it time and wait a few hours and than eventally i gradually get to a better mood.
From what you're describing - it could be very helpful to you, to get with a psychiatrist you can trust and see about whether you do have a type of bi-polar that is characterized by rapid-cycling. There are people who successfully manage bipolar using supplements to manage the mania, and diet and exercise to manage depression. But, there are also some very good drugs on the market. Bi-polar is extremely difficult to manage without some kind of treatment plan. And, of course, you might not actually be bi-polar...but investigating it again could give you some useful insight into your depression as well.
what would you suggest i do to get out of the bad mood quicker, so i wont have to give it time?
Routining a few things could help you with this. Daily exercise would be the first thing - pick a time, pick something you like to do, and then stick to it like glue. Cultivate a daily leisure routine as well - something you enjoy, that is just for you. It can be the same thing every day, or you can change it around - but make a plan, and make sure to hit your goal for that every day. Sleep is very important. If you're having trouble sleeping, the exercise might help - but if not, you could look into any number of non-prescribed sleep aids to give you a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back