• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What do you need when you pull away or are isolating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The man I care about has not told me straight up that he has ptsd. However, because of my Psychology background I see the symptoms. He has been deployed. He has nightmares, is moody, is distant, has a hard time connecting and is drinking quite a bit.

We got into an argument because he was ignoring my texts. And then I told him that I am worried about him and listed his symptoms that were concerning to me. He has ignored me totally now. I know I am not his doctor or his psychologist but I cant help but feel concerned. It has been a week since we've spoken. I have told him I am his friend, that I support him, have tried giving him space. And even said I was sorry. He is not saying anything to me at all. I have dated a person with PTSD before and understood the needing space. I am hurting right now, Ive been depressed all week because I don't know if he is going to come back. I miss him.

As a person with PTSD what do you need from the people who love you?
What can I do now?
Any advice?

It might be best to continue giving him space. I get that it hurts and you want to help. It may be that he's not ready for a serious relationship, but doesn't know how to tell you. Sometimes people with PTSD are worn out just trying to make it through the day. You've apologized and let him know you are there for him. It would seem it's up to him now. Try to focus on other parts of your life. If he comes back, great. And if not, it may not have been meant to be. Take it one day at a time. Prayers for peace for you both.

I'm trying to pull out of isolation right now and it takes every ounce of energy I have. There are no brain cells left to try to make nice with my supporters. Doesn't mean I don't love them. Just no energy to deal with them

The best thing you can do right now is give him space.
He knows that you are there for him, and that is great. Now you allowing space says I trust that you can make it through this.
Take this time to add in a little extra self care, too.

ps. a week isn't that long in the isolation-world ;) hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back