• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ED What do you say to yourself in order to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on being mindful of how grumpy and painful it feels to not eat. So when my body needs to eat, but my mind's having a squirrel moment, I focus my mind onto those sensations with a reminder that it might be a good idea to eat.

That usually snaps me back to reality.

Of course, it helps to be the cook in the household. If you don't remember to eat, nobody's eating either -- practically a cardinal sin! :bored:

I understand *what* I should or could be eating. Like only things that are comforting or desire...
one thing that helps me when I can't eat is to to only think of food as nourishment and energy. Using it as comfort puts me is disordered thinking, it sets me up for overeating (then the resulting purge) or restriction as I think I don't deserve that comfort. Generally it comes down to control for me and I want to control getting better. Keeping it simple and thinking of food as fuel and nothing else can get me to eat when I orherwise can't.
I joined last night and this is the first post I've replied to, hope this works?!

Good luck

I walk into the kitchen first. If I feel up to cooking, then I look in the fridge. If not, then I sit down at the table and eat some of the finger foods I always have available there. These are nuts, raisins, crackers, tuna with horseradish and things like that. Bananas are also something I eat at least once a day. I also eat 3 prunes a day. I can make a salad too.

If I feel up to cooking, it is something simple like an egg, some toast and a piece of fruit.

As to what I say to myself, I say, "It's time to eat, it is 11:30 AM and we need to stay on schedule." (Or some thought similar to that). I might just be looking at the clock, so I would not have to tell myself what time it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back