• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What drugs have helped your anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract

MyPTSD Pro
Hi,
I am very careful of anything potentially addictive and am very set off by anything that leaves me feeling sedated. If I feel sedated my hypervigilence kicks off and I have a paradoxical effect to the meds. I've tried the more sedating antidepressants like TCAs and they have this affect on me. Sleeping meds do too. Or all the ones I tried anyway.

I have trauma where I was drugged and it took me a long time to connect that and my hypervigilence to my resistance to taking drugs. Resisted sleep for the same reason. I have successfully used SSRi's.

Any ideas? I ideally need to bring my anxiety levels down enough so that I can be functional enough to think and act strategically at present. Then hopefully my decisions will help longer term. Thank you! Appreciated.

While I know that ‘drug’ use isn’t popular conversation, I use a high CBD low THC cannabis blend in Vape format. At work I keep Ativan on hand. Because cannabis isn’t legal yet. But I would absolutely 100% prefer my CBD cannabis strain to what Ativan does to me. There aren’t any hallucinogenic effects from this strand. It’s phenomenal! It’s been a life saver.

Thanks Hippiedreamer and Fragileglass. I know it helps many people. Glad for you both. I'm afraid I wouldn't do it for a few reasons. One is the possibility of upping paranoia. Quite paranoid enough already thank you very much!

Is CBD oil available legally in the UK? In a way that one reliably knows what is in it?

Gabapentin has worked well for me. I needed to be on something to reduce anxiety and explosiveness while maintaining my personality ability to function. I needed therapy and to do that I had to be more stable, gabapentin stands center stage in the effort.

edit: I also use marijuana (cbd and thc)

Not to push..... I totally understand your desire to avoid paranoia. CBD has no paranoia or hallucinogenic effects. The low THC, is to create what is called an ‘entourage effect’ it’s just enough to relax you without the terrible hold onto everything because the world just turned upside effect.

I too suffer from drug induced paranoia effects. I used to smoke the old college weed that turned me into fair game for glitter and sharpie markers as well as human lawn bowling potential.

In fact, CBD strands of cannabis can be used to reverse the effects of high THC strands immediately.

CBD isn’t the cure all..... but to my fellow PTSD sufferers, I promise you, you’ve had far worse flash back and anxiety break downs than CBD could ever cause. :)

valium. clonondine. wine. work. sex.

I re-read your post. sorry I read it too quickly. valium 2 mg does not make me feel loopy or anything and helps if it's off the charts. A teeny tiny bit of the lowest dose of clonodine, (I can cut a very small piece off) doesn't make me loopy nor is it addicting. the other three are not "presciptions" but they do help with my anxiety issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted in another thread that I react to just about everything. Meds, supplements, food, personal care products, you name it. I've been experimenting for a long time trying to find something I could tolerate that would lessen my anxiety without driving me into depression. I've been on L-theanine, a simple amino acid, for a long time (now wondering if I've developed a tolerance since I don't really feel anything anymore), and just recently went to Inositol (once called vitamin B8) that I'd heard about here in the forum. Really like the Inositol. I buy only pure products without fillers because of my hair trigger reactions. Did some more research and found that Inositol works best with the addition of Choline (vitamin B4), so I'm going to try that next. Best if you do some research on all three of them, L-theanine, Inositol, and Choline, if you're interested in trying them. Good luck, and I'm sure we'd all love to hear how it works out for you if you decide to try any of them.

Hi @MrMoonlight Thank you. I haven't tried gabapentin so shall look into it. Do you feel sedated at all? Any side effects of the oil?
Thanks again @FragileGlass Am attempting to open my mind to it and consider it! Attempting to not be resistant. Thats helpful to know. Glad its helped you.

Thank you @hithere that is interesting to know. I had wondered about very small doses and what that would do. Trying to use less of some of those actually. :/

@berlinda Thanks so much! Thats helpful to know. Changes my feelings about it a lot.

Thank you too @Victory Shall certainly do some research on those. I actually don't react strongly to meds but rather get freaked out by anything sedating. Then get more hypervigilent as a result. Its annoying. :/

Thanks people. Need to do some thinking now. Also need to recap on exactly what I tried before. I was pretty bad at that point and is a bit of a blur.

I can tell you LOADS of substances which alleviate anxiety for me, the only thing is most of them (actually maybe none of them) don't work as long term solutions. Anyhow, I'll give you a list:

Kava: This is very mild but it works and it is non addictive and relatively sustainable. Its banned in some countries due to some absurd claim about 1 in a million people getting liver damage from it. Kava works on GABA_A receptors which means it has some similarities to benzos.

Picamilon: This is even milder than kava but it is a sustainable and effective way to boost GABA levels in the brain.

Phenibut: This one is extremely powerful, I have never encountered anything quite like it. The main problem is its extremely addictive, and tolerance and dependence sky rockets within a matter of weeks. Phenibut works on GABA_B receptors so it is not the same class of drug as benzos. It can be used as a remedy for benzo withdrawal symptoms.

Baclofen: This is the same class of drug as phenibut but it seems cleaner and it takes months rather than weeks to become physically addicted. It doesn't have the same euphoria that phenibut has but it definitely helps anxiety in a similar way.

GHB: This one is EXTREMELY POWERFUL. So powerful its dangerous. It wipes out anxiety within 30 minutes of drinking it. Like phenibut, it works on GABA_B receptors and is highly addictive. Also the effects only last 4 hours and after 4 hours the anxiety comes back with a vengeance.

Kratom: This contains a natural opioid so in addiction to helping with anxiety, it helps with pain

Trazodone: A tiny dose of trazodone is really good for anxiety. The same can be said about mirtazapine.

Antihistamines: 1st generation antihistamines including diphenhydramine (benadryl), promethazine (phenargen), hydroxyzine, all these alleviate anxiety very well

I'll just leave it at that for now, if you want me to keep listing anxiolytics, lemme know.

I just posted in another thread that I react to just about everything. Meds, supplements, food, person...

Combining inositol with magnesium and taurine works pretty well too. And actually certain forms of magnesium like magnesium taurate and magnesium threonate work really well for remedying anxiety. A lack of magnesium can cause anxiety in itself. When I quit xanax abruptly, I used big doses of magnesium taurate to stop me having seizures and panic attacks. Taurine itself is known to prevent seizures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had done tons of research about CBD oil to figure out which company to buy from so I don’t get screwed over as to the truthfulness of what they claim is in their products. I’ve been using it and changing doses and everything to figure out if it’s helping and so far I haven’t seen any difference at all. I’ve been using it for about 6 months now and have even tried different companies to see if that would change anything and so far nothing.

I’ve been wanting to slowly get off my benzos that are the only thing I have that makes me sleep but also use a couple of other medications that I have to take also to get me to sleep. I use them for panic attacks and anxiety also. I was hoping that the CBD oil would help but have had no luck.

There’s a lot of good advice from everyone and I will also look into those options also. I’m wanting to try sex but my doctor won’t give me a prescription and my insurance won’t cover the cost darn it:joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back