• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What have you achieved in 2017?

• Thread starter Deleted member 34561
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 34561

This year has been both painful and liberating simultaneously for me.

I have conquered no less than 3 serious addictions this year. Namely an abusive relationship of 23 years standing (yes I think I was addicted to being abused) alcohol and cannabis.

I have also cleared out the dead wood regarding other negative relationships I had that were going nowhere and not making me feel good about myself. Namely an online friendship of 7 years standing and the relationships between myself and my two grown up kids who seem to think its OK to treat me like shit over things that are not my fault.

I have also cut back on my smoking with a view to eventually quitting in the New Year and have improved my diet and exercising more.

I've also got my darling little dog the treatment she desperately needed mostly free of charge through an animal charity here in the UK.

Finally I've also researched my family tree on both my mum and dad's sides of the family and now I know who I am and where I come from. Because of that information I now know where I'm going in Life. That's a good feeling :)

So come on everyone what have you achieved this year? I'm sure we can all agree that if nothing else we have survived despite our PTSD and that in itself is a major achievement!!!

Best and of course Merry Christmas!!!!! And all the best for 2018!!!!

Crazydiamond47

I got through the second year of graduate school and am plowing through my last year with vigor, despite doubts fears, and (temporary) bad reviews.

This summer, I succeeded in planning a trip internationally and finally visited a place on my bucket list, conquering my fear of going abroad for the first time since my trauma occurred.

I've made progress putting things into perspective, with only minor setbacks. I have successfully avoided a few potentially dangerous situations by finally learning to trust my gut instinct and not doubt myself when I feel or see red flags.

I've learned that if I feel unsafe in a situation, I probably am unsafe, and that my personal boundaries are to be respected and enforced. I'm making progress enforcing them.

I've made a dent in taking clutter out of my apartment.

I've learned to be almost as patient, forgiving, and caring with myself as I am with others, even if I need reminders.

I'm not sure if this can count as progress, but I got engaged this summer to someone who respects me and helps me become a better person for myself. He trusts that I can get through things on my own and provides help if I ask for it while being empathetic and patient. More importantly, he allows me to grow as a person without influence and with unconditional support.

I've made so much progress this year, and sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees. All of us are works in progress, and I struggle to remember this for myself.

Thank you @crazydiamond47 for making this post. I teared up thinking of all the progress I've made and have personally ignored. I needed this post.

I managed to get sober and stay sober the entire year. No alcohol or pot. I feel pretty good considering though, anxiety levels at times are rather high. Only 2 panic attacks all year.

No hospitalizations or return of anti anxiety or depression meds. I had no idea I would ever be able to come off these medication.

Drinking and smoking weed appears to not help me at all but rather was hindering my ability to function on the farm and quite possibly added to my overall stress. I did not see that coming.

My productivity has gone up leaps and bounds. Diet is better this year.

I've managed to go back to running after a very serious hip injury that left me sidelined for 5 months of 2017. With little to no anxiety about getting injured again.

I have come along way with recognizing my dissociation.

I'm successfully keeping up with school and my full time job. There is an end in sight. I graduate December of 2018!

I've been learning to speak up for myself and how I feel about things.

Hi... @crazydiamond47... Well I've made some new friends and lost some new friends.

I had 1art show this year and created 3 large paintings.... I created more but ruined them with spray paint... Oh well...

I've learned cognitive Distortion... And understand my thoughts better now

I joined this site... And have made many new friends... I am very grateful for this.... Thankyou

2017 .. what a year.. I think it was one of the most stressful years of my life but i still able to accomplish some great things. The most important is i realized that I need to take care of MYSELF .. I learned so much about myself and I'm teaching myself to be comfortable in my own skin.

Coming to terms with having PTSD and educating myself about it was a big accomplishment.

Starting therapy!!!

I also learned to stand up for myself and express my true feelings.

This is great folks!!!! You've all achieved so much. Well done all of you. It's good to focus on the positive rather than the negative of this poxy illness. We should all give ourselves and each other a lot of credit for getting through this thing called Life hampered by a serious disability. I too have made a lot of friends here since I became a more active member a few months back. I've also managed to rub a few people up the wrong way without meaning to. I can only apologise for my lack of sensitivity at times and also for being spikey sometimes too. I've grown in awareness because of what I've learnt from all the people on this forum especially those I've previously clashed with. So I want to thank you all (you know who you are lol) for being my teachers and the painful yet enlightening lessons I've gained.

Now come on you lot let's keep this thread going!!! The more positivity the better!!! Let's end 2017 on a (natural) high!!! Xx

Just in the past few weeks, I stopped cutting myself with the razor when shaving. I know it doesn't sound like much but it is. If I didn't cut myself I made my face really sore. It was an annoyance more than anything but a painful one and more than that It's a really good way to let the world know you just can't quite pull yourself together. Walking around with little blood spots on your face is just not good. The soreness is gone for the most part as well which is a tremendous relief and I'm getting a very close shave. (I just have to have a really close shave, it's a thing) I was aware I was doing this on purpose. It reminds me of an old friend of mine, I picked him up for work every day for awhile and he always managed to spill coffee on himself. I watched him do this a long time and yelling and stuff about how if they made the coffee the way he told them it wouldn't happen but, I knew he was doing it. Finally, I said one day "why don't you just dump some on yourself and get it over with?" So I was doing that, and I'd pick up the razor and say "don't cut yourself" but I always did. Like "why don't you just cut yourself and get it over with?" So now I'm not. It's subliminal or subconscious. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop doing it. When that's going on, you can pretty much bet you want it that way on some level. It's progress, it has to be.

Heya Mach I hear you buddy. So many of us internalise the abuse we've suffered then carry on abusing ourselves where the original abusers have left off. Often without even knowing we are doing it. It's great that you've become aware of this habit of yours and can now take steps to stop doing it to yourself my friend. It might not seem like much to the outsider looking in that doesn't have PTSD especially, but to you and those of us who do have this rotten affliction it really IS much. So kudos to you mate and keep making those little baby steps. Eventually they all add up and before you know it you've made lots of progress without even realising that's what you were doing!!! Keep on keeping on Mach. Well done :) xx

I am seeing a trauma therapist that is reliable. Finally.

I filed a complaint against my last therapist and was successful. She was required to make changes to prevent her from doing the same thing to someone else.

I improved quite a few of my relationships. I am doing less things because I feel like I have to than because I really want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back