• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is an exit fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wish to escape, or the way you want to commit suicide, the way Im reading that term.

More context would help?
I told her that I'm questioning my faith and that the idea of just being an animal is comforting in the way that dying in that way wouldn't be a big deal. I probably wouldn't do it because of my kids and granddaughter but if it wasn't for them I probably would.

One of my fears is my kids taking their lives. My daughter has already tried and my son wouldn't surprise me or my therapist at all. The last thing I need to do is give him an excuse ( well mom did it).

I could be mistaken but whenever a client takes about death especially suicidal type, therapists pay attention and it may sounded to her you are fantasizing about suicide and you may not be aware. Even talking about your children committing one can be subconscious way of talking about suicide in your thoughts.

I could be mistaken but whenever a client takes about death especially suicidal type, therapists pay attention and it may sounded to her you are fantasizing about suicide and you may not be aware. Even talking about your children committing one can be subconscious way of talking about suicide in your thoughts.
Could be.

I read it as an in the background plan, a failsafe tucked away in case everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Not something actively being considered or attempted, but just knowing you have a way out.
I have three. One I actually purchased and have set aside what I need to do it. It's strange but knowing it's there and being able to think once in a while about how it would play out, working through the steps in my head, is comforting to me.

He tries but he's not very good at it.
Okay.. Well at least he tries. I hope you have a better day today. We need you on here, damn$it! Lol! My brother commited suicide at 16. He overdosed on aspirin 2 weeks before he died. Then, he put a gun to his head. He is now 6 feet under.. I wish I could have been with him at the time to give him a kiss and a hug.. I loved him. Suicide is not a way out.

Last edited:
So, for me and my personal experience:

I remember one occasion where I told my T I'd been "fantasising about suicide again".

At the time, my T considered that progress, because of the use of the word "fantasising".

In the context of our discussion, it was an acknowledgment that there was continued ideation about suicide, but I recognised at the time that it was improbable. Because that's what a 'fantasy' is - something you're imagining that you know is improbable.

That doesn't diminish the seriousness of it. Usually fantasies are something that we'd (at least in part) really like to happen. But by referring to it as a fantasy, rather than a plan, you (or in this case your T) is recognising that while the thoughts are there and attractive to you, it's not currently something you're actively working towards.

As for the 'exit' part - that's what a lot of SI is about. You're under an intense amount of stress and distress atm, and your brain is trying to problem solve how to resolve that, or improve the situation for you. It's an exit strategy to your suffering.

It's just not a very good one. Permanent solution to a temporary problem, and going to prevent you experiencing joy ever again (which you will).

The level of suffering you're currently experiencing is temporary. It may take a while, but life does get better than how it is right now. There's been times in the past that have been really meaningful for you, for example. There will be more to come - but you've gotta stick around for them.

So, thanks brain, but that's not how I'm going so resolve my current levels of distress.

Your kids are excellent motivation here. Not just because if a parent suicides, the stats shoot up that one of their kids may as well. But because your kids are actually important to you. They give your life meaning, even if its only at times.

You've spoken here on many occasions about your daughter, and it's evident from the way you talk about her that she's really important to you. Her learning how to be happy again is really important to you.

Maybe investing in that relationship may help just a little with the level of depression you're currently experiencing. Regenerating an element of joy back into that relationship - like doing things together, that have no relationship to your trauma or hers, simply because they're fun things to do, and because you're important to each other.

Just an idea. Either way, be gentle with yourself if you can. You deserve to find happiness again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back