• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is the difference between sick and ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
Can you help me? A person who has ptsd - sick or ill?
A person who drank too much mulled wine and is throwing up - sick or ill?
A soldier, who has been hit - sick or ill?
A person who has the cold - sick or ill?

Sorry, not really much connection with ptsd. It is just that I am sick (or ill) and cannot sleep and to tired to register at a board more appropriate and u thought since you are native speakers...

Hmm... in general, there's not much difference between the two terms. However, the specific questions you asked do sometimes have different answers

A person who has ptsd -- Ok, that's interesting. It seems like "illness" is what usually goes with mental health problems. Not sure why that's the norm
A person who drank too much mulled wine and is throwing up? - Typically, I hear that being referred to as sick
A soldier, who has been hit? - Usually this is some other term like injured or hurt.
A person who has the cold? - Either will work.

Those are the answers from someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. English is such a messed language that an english speaker from a different area may have different answers.

Oh and by the way what is the difference between „try to eat“ and „try and eat“ or „try to sing“ and „try and sing“?

Like „Do you remember the words of the song?“, „Well, not sure let‘s try and sing/try to sing“.

Hmm... dang, english really is weird.

Peter has been hit isn't technically wrong (I don't think) but it's awkward and people would just say "Peter was hit".

For injured and hurt it depends on if the injury or hurt still exists. So, if Peter got hit two years ago and is better, than "Peter was hurt/injured". However, if Peter is still suffering, it's typically "Peter is injured". Around here, "Hurt" is usually for more short term things. So, if you said "Peter was hit two years ago and is hurt", you wouldn't be incorrect but it wouldn't be a common usage. Does that make sense?

Thanks. How impaired in his daily life does Peter have to be for people to say „he is injured“ instead of „he was injured“?

BTW what is the difference between „vanilla ice“ and „vanilla ice cream“ and „vanilla sherbet“ is there any? Is there any difference between a person coming from „an old family“ and a person coming from „a rich family“ in the US o is an „old family“ an old money family and what is „an aritocratic family“ or a an aristocrat in the US. They do not have a aristocracy, right? Would that be an individual who is from a lineage of old money?

Is there a difference between an individual and a person?
Do civvies in the US and GB call themselves civvies or is this and „civvy street“ military slang?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sick and ill are used interchangeably around here ... "here" is roughly where the Lower Midwest and Appalachia meet up. People use them for both long term and short term maladies. Somebody with cancer could be called "sick" and somebody else could call into work because they're "ill" that day. I'm not sure of proper usage, but that's the common usage here.

It's the same with hurt and injured. My vet was hurt in Iraq. He has combat injuries.

If Peter is a dirt poor duke, which one would be correct „Peter is an aristocrat“, „Peter is from an old family“, „Peter is nobility“, („Peter get over himself, nobody cares in America“).
Would a person call himself „an aristocrat“ or „noble“ or is that snobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back