• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

what is this? a flashback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alli D87

Learning
I'm having a really tough time right now, some sort of episode that has never happened before. When I close my eyes I feel like I'm back in the abusive situation and I hear my abusers voice loud and clear but when I open my eyes I'm back in my living room shaking an crying feeling panicky and just crazy-like.

Can flashbacks happen like this? I've had flashbacks before where I appear completely zoned out to others but not this. This is different somehow and I'm confused and it's really upsetting...

Yep...could be a flashback or may be just a really bad intrusive memory cycle. The important thing is to work your grounding skills so you can get present and remember it's a memory - it's not happening now..

I know. Easier said than done :hug:

My favorite is reciting where and when I am...
it is June 2019, my name is freida, I live at 123 main st anytime usa, my phone number is 5551212, I have d dog, a cat, sitting on my couch, describing everything I see around me. and so on...I

Hopefully that will help

Thanks so much. I have a hard time remembering coping skills when I'm panicking...heh. There's that 5 step one I can never remember. I like your idea :).

I've been having problems lately with a lot of intrusive memories. Somehow this feels more like a flashback but yeah...only when I'm closing my eyes. So I figured I'd ask about it.

I hope I can sleep tonight.

If it only occurs when you close your eyes and it's the same thing over and over...maybe it's not a flashback but as mentioned an intrusive memory.

Either way - the remedy may be similar. Can you listen to music whilst you go off to sleep... or read a book...something where you are not confronted with the memory but can attune your mind to something else until you drift off? Distraction!!

I'm so sorry, it is very difficult when you feel you are still living in it. Stress is very disabling and can keep you in a loop. Many have found that taking magnesium malate and ginseng help a lot with stress and stress does deplete your body of them. Magnesium calms the mind body and spirit and ginseng gets rid of sticky negative thoughts that loop around. They will get you out of the rut of this negative flashbacks. Also, get outside, it heals to be in nature and get grounded. Blessings to you in overcoming this sorrow and anxiety. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back