• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is/was your favorite toy now or as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
I know our favorite toys change as we age, so feel free to update your reply as often as is needed. Toys can be things that others might not consider to be toys also, like some folks think of their latest nonessential item that they have purchased as a toy, while others may only see toys as things that they can "play with." I use quotes, because, well, "play" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different folks!

If you feel like it, please describe your toy and how you use it, also what it does for you.

Have fun....

@SheilaKathy, that is the funniest post I've read! It has such connotations. I know you don't mean what I'm thinking, but it just hit me the wrong way, lol. Especially the last line.

My favorite toy was a Jingle Jump. You would put the small hula hoop looking part around your ankle, and the was a ball that was attached to it with a string. You would swing the one leg and jump over it with your other foot. For some reason I loved doing this. I enjoyed the natural endorphins, I think.

When I was very young, say 6 and under, my fav toy was a rubber squeeky cow that I had chewed all the paint off of when I was so young I cannot recall. I do know that when my molester made a motion like he was going to choke it, and then threatened to do the same to me if I "told" I latched onto said cow with desperation.

Later, when I was 6 or so, my father found a new one in the drug store and bought it for me, thinking that I would like it better. (I went everywhere with that cow)! Nope, I liked the old one much better.

Once my parents figured out what my abuser was doing to me and forbid him from coming in our house and told me that he was not allowed in our house, I finally let go of the cow, but I cannot remember for what, if anything.

I grew up in the military moving every few years. We were allowed one toy to carry with us between posts and mine was a travel chess board and some Fisher Price little people. I played chess from 4yrs old but mainly the pieces were characters in make believe places. When we were actually at a base and moved in, I had a Fisher Price little people castle with a purple dragon. My brother still has that castle. Wouldn't let me sell it. As I got older I had Dusty the horse for Barby and the sunshine family country store. But played with the castle into my teens.

Yes, as I got older, my likes changed too. I loved TROLL DOLLS. I bought cloths for them with my allowance, I had them ride on little horses made of china from the 5 and 10 Cents Store (Woolworths). People said they were ugly, but I thought they were so CUTE!

I still have a BUNCH of them now, though these ones I picked up in Thrift Stores, as I lost everything I owned when I was homeless for 2 and a half years from Apr. 2002 to Aug. 2004. Since then I have made it my mission to find a lot of the things I lost and replace them. Thrift Stores have made this possible in many cases. I also got a Troll Doll for Christmas last year! A friend saw my collection of them in my home and found the most adorable one for me to add to my collection. I have a baby, a pregnant mommy Troll, a Daddy and a Teen one too. Then I have some Angel Trolls and so on.... @CrowFeather

@SheilaKathy, that is the funniest post I've read! It has such connotations. I know you don't mean what I'm thinking, but it just hit me the wrong way, lol. Especially the last line.

It has taken me awhile to be sure what you mean by this, but I think I get it now.... (grin).

Last edited by a moderator:
@DharmaGirl I laughed myself sick... it IS one of the funniest lines in a thread... especially by @SheilaKathy . I'm sorry. I live fun threads like this.

I really don't know what my favorite toy was... I had a jingle jump as well. Took it to school with me everyday.

I grew up in the country where our little "town" was on no map anywhere. One of those 'if you blink you miss it' So I guess I would say my bike was my favorite. Sometimes it was a horse, sometimes a race car...whatever my siblings and I decided it should be that day.

We had a great circular driveway... all gravel - a good reason not to fall on the turns...my brother would set up boards on large rocks and we flew our bikes over them. Probably gave my mother a few strokes.

Great memories :)

Yes, I meant this thread to be fun, but even *I* cannot predict how fun sometimes something becomes.

Anyway, I remember another "toy" I had: my 1st 10-speed bike. I did not think of it as a toy at all then, when I saved up all my babysitting money for half a year to buy it. When I got about half the money saved up, and my parents realized that I was serious and really wanted it, they pitched in and paid the 2nd half of the price. I remember it was something like about $120.00 or so and I bought it in 1971, if I recall. I used to ride it about 15 miles into town to go visit friends, and then ride it back home again, before dark. I was in high school then... had a boyfriend in town. It was imported, green, a Peugeaut (spelling has never been my forte, so I probably spelled that wrong). I was so proud of it.

Bubbles. I still love bubbles.

The little rubber bouncy balls and jacks.

Rocks and sticks to build with.

Frisbees.

The swing set.

Stuffed animals of any kind.

Snails and worms. (none were harmed)

That cool jumpy thing DharmaGirl mentioned. (and thanks for the laughs!!)

There was some other toy with giant marble balls and a robe thingy that would clack together...can't remember the name.

The metal tub my grandma used as a "pool".

Hula hoops...more so now than then.

Jump ropes.

Sit and spin.

Big wheels.

My tricycle.

Slinkys...NOT the plastic kind. I dig the original metal ones heavy enough to use on the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back