• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll What Is Your Oldest Confirmed Memory?

When was your oldest confirmed memory?

• Less than one year

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • 2-3

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • 3-4

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 4-5

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • My childhood was mostly repressed

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't need to just be flashbacks or trauma related, but what is the oldest memory you can remember with at least two senses, touch and sight.

Personally I remembered one time I was in a hospital, I must have been 1.5 years old. I had a family member confirm it too.

I wanna know because some of us range from having a near savant like memory of our childhood to being mostly repressed.

Interesting question!

My first memory is of a dream: I was 2 years old and of course I was having a nightmate about a bee. The bee wasn't like a bee you'd see outside but it was a cartoon version of a bee (he even had googles on!) but he scared the bejesus out of me because I woke up screaming. My mom came in and thought there was a bee in my room and frantically flipped up the sheets, blankets, etc. My dark-colored cat was in my bedroom window and I cried: "There he is now!" or something along those lines, and for a second my still half-asleep mom thought it was a giant freaky bee. Lol.

An earlier memory (not a dream) is of my belly button being brown & itching me like crazy, and I'm surrounded by orange. As an teen I found a picture of me as an infant on an orange inflatable baby-support pillow or something, and I told my mom I remembered being on that pillow and she said that's when my umbilical cord dried up..but she said there is 'no way' I could have possibly remembered it.

I believe I read someplace that our first memories occur around the same time that we can talk - because we able to put into words what has happened and we are more likely to remember it. Or something like that.

I don't remember much of my childhood, it think the earliest actual memory is of my grandfather being kind to me. Giving me chocolate and being silly with his loose teeth, playing hide and seek and chasing me around the table when he found me, making silly faces through the window when I was outside in the garden. I remember his funeral, and seeing him on his deathbed too. I was four at the time.

I also have clear memories of two or three dreams and nightmares I had at night. It's really weird, even now I often remember my dreams in more detail than reality. I have a sense of smell, taste and sound, and strong emotions in dreams, and I remember some of them crystal clear, years after I had them.

When i was about 4 years old in Germany with my German Shepherd Duke would not allow me to walk on the side of the road. He had to be between me and the road every time. He would never pull me or anything. An if someone came up to us he was between me an them. Mom or Dad was there but he protected me from all danger.

My sister's father died of a heart attack when I was 2. Now all I recalled was seeing a casket, a man handing me a round cracker, and then I remembered throwing roses on the casket as it was lowered. It wasn't until a few years ago my mom said he was a practicing catholic. So that explained the cracker and recalling my mom saying you don't need to eat the cracker (my family is protestant and my mom doesn't believe in infantile baptism or communion)

Autobiographical Memory

My oldest memory, I think, is of me crying and my father taking a photo of me while I was. I have the photo. I recall I was being made to sit in a chair that had a hole in it and I was very upset about this and protesting it. It felt uncomfortable. I was wearing a dress, so this is understandable. I was not yet able to speak, as that did not happen until I was about 3 and a half or almost 4 due to dyslexia. I think this photo was taken maybe when I was closer to just having turned 3.

Above is an interesting article on memory. Check it out.

Last edited:
Oldest confirmed memory is of great grandmother who died when I was 2 years 6 months.

Unconfirmed fragmentary memories to possibly less than 1 year (I was talking you 9 months), feelings of cold nakedness and big faces of dark haired middle aged people with thick rimmed glasses is one of them. I was born in the mid 60s

Body memories go to about 6 months, I haven't been able to access them. I was into self hypnosis from age 15, utility there's a guardian part that says "no" to early stuff.

It's not very bright, because it's denial has told me that there is stuff there, but it can pull the plug on any thought process or part trying to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back