• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Makes You Angry Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

combatgoldfish

MyPTSD Pro
I know I've been fairly angry all day and it only seems to be rising. I'm actually standing in a hallway at school looking at how shaky my hands are and the blood vessels within my arms bulge.

I was up early to drive someone to the airport, this morning my dog got into a fight with another dog, and upon driving to school realized I didn't have my parking permit. So, automatic $5.00 had to be spent at a parking pass machine..which of course the first f*cking one did not work.

The library of course still does not have the book I ordered, then start through a three hour lecture about how law enforcement officers should show more empathy. Most of the attendees that attended lacked common sense and were long winded. Most "questions" turned into long winded rants without actual questions.

Ugh. Rant/

Sounds like you have a pretty legitimate reason to be pissed. I went through a class like that back in 2008 called "community policing" yuck. Same rants, same witless questions, same high-minded ideals that don't work for a second on the street.
Hang in there man, and PUT THE GUN DOWN. lol

It just is mate. There does not have to be a reason to be angry, there does not have to be a reason to feel depressed, it just is mate. Just take yourself, if you can, out of the situation before it escalates.
Otherwise some poor fool will most likely have a dig at you or try to muck with you and you will snap.

Everything makes me angry. People mostly. I seem to think everyone around me are incompetent f*cking morons. People who drive 15 below the speed limit make me want to pull them out of their cars and beat them senseless in front of the speed limit sign.
Ever since Iraq I've been able to see the worst in people far easier than the good.

Shogun, it's all about adjustment. Over there there was routine and orders. When we were on the road it was generally in a convoy at convoy speed. You were told to obey and followed those orders and for a prolonged period lived by these otherwise you could get killed. You were constantly hypervigilient or everything that seemed out of place.

Get yourself to a Vet Centre mate and find a therapist, life will end up being a whole lot easier. It does get better, even though I still occasionally have days where I am angry at the world.

If you've made it back from the war you should be thankful each day that you're alive. I know that feeling doesn't last long but you've got to try to remind yourself, often. Most of the shit we get angry about is just that......shit. Some doofis on the road, you forget to do something, ect, ect.

You're mind is truly the only thing you can control, everything else isn't in our realm of control for the most part. I get days when I just rant at the world too. You wouldn't be human if you didn't sometime. But if it's more than once in a while you need to do something about it. Anger isn't just a psychological thing it also affects you physically as well. Being in that state for too long will wear you out. Been there, done that.

And yes, most people are morons. Most don't possess the common sense that god gave a slug. Unfortunately we all have to deal with them most of the time.

I know ya'll won't want to hear this but; take a couple of deep controlled breaths and relax for a minute. After you may not feel quite as upset. It does work, if you learn how to and when to use it. Just Jar's 2cents.

Jar

I feel like my anger is the first emotion that arises upon what I perceive to be a negative interaction with people.
When people around me do something stupid, I often perceive it as a threat or attack. My first response to said threat is anger and defense or counterattack. This happens to me most often on the road. Like someone driving too slow in a POS car that suddenly merges, I see VBIED.
Does anybody else feel this way?
I can't drive anywhere without scanning the buildings rooftops and windows.

Does anybody else feel this way?
I can't drive anywhere without scanning the buildings rooftops and windows.

Welcome to the club. It's a big one. No dress rules. Northern Ireland, Bosnia, 'Nam, Iraq, Aden, Cyprus, Afghan, Africa, Borneo, Falklands, East Timor, Columbia, Angola.

And I bet you sit with your back to the wall in a restaurant. And check every car on the street. And don't stand under street-lights. And hate spin-dryers and chain-saws.

And see threats everywhere. Understood. You will re-learn but you have to learn how. Like Jimmy said, it's all to do with adjustment, and that's up to you. I reckon you can do it.

Hey Shogun

I know from where you speak. You have classic, if you can call them that, responses that someone with PTSD does. That's where therapy is helpful. I never sat in a restaurant with my back to the door until recently. It was one of my assignments. It was difficult at first, but it got easier with time. It's a reconditioning exercise. It's a slow start to eventually reintegrate you back into 'normal' civilian life. I've been those other things for more than 40 years because I'm a nam vet. Still I was able to change over time.

It's not that I never get angry, of course I do, but I just try to react differently to it now. Sometimes I can and then sometimes, well, as I've said, we're only human. It can and does get better. Hang in there. Try not to let the morons of life get you off track, they're just not worth the effort.

Jar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back