• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Whatcha doooooooin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on a list of foods to have delivered to my second mom to make meal times easier for her. She approved my ideas and is eager to taste them. Yay! May she not be disappointed.

Here ya' go, @OliveJewel :

A good friend, who is also a master herbalist, shared this recipe with me a couple years ago and I'm just now getting around to making my own. She'd make it each year and share, but has since moved away. My turn to learn. 😊

Fire Cider:

* 3 ounces diced ginger root

* 3 ounces yellow onion

* 1 ½ ounce garlic cloves

* 1 ½ ounce diced horseradish

* 1 ½ ounces jalapeños or other hot chili

* 3 star anise pods (optional)

* 1 cinnamon stick (optional)

* any other herbs or spices you feel may be beneficial to you healthwise

* raw apple cider vinegar

* ½ cup honey

Optional Herbs and Spices
( I added)

Turmeric - a potent anti-inflammatory herb related to ginger, and it works synergistically with black pepper.

Cayenne powder is traditionally used in fire cider

Citrus fruit like lemon can make a great addition, too. You can chop the whole fruit, or just use the peel.

Thyme - both a culinary and medicinal herb, (traditionally treasured as healing herb). It’s also an expectorant and often included in herbal cough remedies. You can use either fresh or dried thyme.

Instructions:

* Layer the ginger, onion, garlic, horseradish, and chili into a quart-sized jar with the star anise and cinnamon stick. Cover with apple cider vinegar, adding additional vinegar to cover the contents of the jar as necessary.

* Seal the jar, and store it away from direct sunlight for at least 1 month and up to 6 weeks. Shake daily.

* Strain the vinegar, discarding the solids. Next, stir in the honey until fully dissolved. Store at room temperature up to 6 months and in the fridge for up to 18 months.

Ways to use:

*By tablespoon
*Used as a Vinaigrette
*Used in Tea
*Sprinkled over roasted Vegetables

Here's the jar I finally got made today - I forgot to add lemon to the label...

IMG_3116.JPG

Just remembered to turn the crock pot on - hubby got it ready with steel cut oats, raisins, craisins, and chopped apples. Men who like to cook are so spicy. 🙂 Even more so if they don't mind doing dishes, either. 😍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back