1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your weirdest ptsd tip?

Discussion in 'General' started by Swift, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Swift

Swift I'm a VIP

Hey, so I thought I'd start a thread about the strangest stuff that helps us with PTSD.
    My tip is: mints. They head off dissociation, for me, and keep me in the here-and-now. I can explain that with neuroscience, but I won't, on this thread.
    I was wondering if anyone else had anything similar?
    (Please no snark at each other)

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Sietz

Sietz I'm a VIP

Lotion on my legs. Ahah

4. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member Donated

After you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks then walk around on the rug barefoot and make fists with your toes.

Wait .. that's from the movie Die Hard. It's still pretty good advice though!

For real: Stuffed animals/plushies can be really, really helpful in multiple ways.

5. Juls33

Juls33 New Member

I actually bought Hamsters when I was at my worst a few years back. They surprisingly really helped until they started multiplying like crazy and I was stuck with about 25 hamsters. After giving most away to kids, I eventually got a rescue dog and he is totally my therapy animal.

6. frogthroat

frogthroat Well-Known Member

Terrible b-movies with violence that is so over the top with such shitty acting, makeup, and special effects you can't help but laugh.

littleoc, Freida, Congruency and 8 others like this.
  7. berlinda

berlinda On the way to find out :-) Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Talking about something mundane for a couple minutes really calms me down quckly. In T I often talk about what I saw on TV recently, or a recipe I made - just for one or two minutes when I need to calm back down. Works ever so well.
    Language learning apps are pretty good too when I'm on my own.

SpiritSong, Nessa7, littleoc and 9 others like this.
  8. Hopeforlife

Hopeforlife Active Member

I find eating anything spicy or strong. Vinegar, anything with chilli etc. Also when I get home every day I find taking off my shoes and socks and walking around the house in the cold tiled floors is so good and helps me feel.

SpiritSong, Nessa7, littleoc and 8 others like this.
  9. Emotional girl

Emotional girl Active Member

Hugging my favourite cushion which for me at the moment is like a protective barrier for me.
    Mints are good for me as well especially when I am feeling panicky.

SpiritSong, littleoc, Freida and 3 others like this.
  10. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

I think if we label our coping skills as “weird” we are inducing shame on ourselves when we shouldn’t be.

11. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member Donated

@EveHarrington - point taken. But you don't think some of the things we do are totally weird though sometimes?

Anyway, some of us are totally cool with being weird. I was called weird as a kid and I'm taking that term back. Weirdos unite!

12. Candleflames

Candleflames Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

Ice! Crunching it, holding it, a pack of it on my face, etc... It brings me back to reality.

SpiritSong, littleoc, Freida and 7 others like this.
  13. Sweetleaf

Sweetleaf Well-Known Member

I do that too!
    My old pdoc got me started using lifesavers (the candy) for when I'm panicky, to help bring it down a bit. I was having a panic attack in her office the first time I ever tried it. It helps.
    She said that sucking on things makes the brain communicate with itself more or something like that, and thus lowers the panic response.

My pdoc has a bowl of mints in her office lmao.

Lol beat me to the punch, I was just about to say, I thought ice holding/chomping is weird. But it helps.

littleoc, Freida, piratelady and 8 others like this.
Show Sidebar