1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Some People Try to Help *Rolling Eyes*

Discussion in 'General' started by Marlene, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Today was a pretty good day at work. Actually it was a very busy day so that helps me to get through it a bit faster. *grin*

Anyway, one of the people I work with came into my office, asked me how I was doing (I was getting my thoughts together to type an email to another department. I don't know about any of you, but while I'm gathering my thoughts I tend to 'blank' out to the rest of the world). I told him I was fine, he told me that he was just getting back from lunch, blah, blah (normal office BS). When all of the sudden he starts getting in my face telling me that I need to just get over all of this. That I had been a soldier and I know how to just suck it up and move on. That everything I've been told by my doctor is bullshit, etc, etc. I could go on, but I won't.

To say I was floored is an understatment. This person has always been nothing but kind with an occasional joke and a smile. This was totally out of character. I know that his mother died about a month ago and I figured he was feeling raw and just lashing out and I was going to let it go. Then I thought, 'To hell with that...no one speaks to me like that.'

I went into his office and asked him to go into a private area where I proceeded to ask him who the hell he thought he was speaking to me like that? And who died and made him in charge of my mental health? He told me he was being a friend and giving me some 'tough love'. I told him my friends don't speak to me like that and if they did, they weren't my friend. He then went into his religion speech. Here in the states, we call these kinds 'Charlie Church'. I stopped him and walked away.

I'm tired of feeling like I have to explaining myself. I'm tired of having the feeling that I need to apologize for something that isn't something that I chose. I have good days and I have bad days just like everyone else (although PTSD has brought a whole new definition to bad day LOL). Where someone would get off trying to 'help' me by berating me is absolutely beyond me. I did feel a lot better sticking up for myself rather than just taking it.

Hey, a step back to who I was. Who knew???? LOLOLOLOL :biggrin:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. pookiespooka

pookiespooka Member

I have a MIL who is about that bad too. Be a tough soldier get over it blah blah blah. She's a Charlene Church. It's really annoying. This dude needs to butt out because he knows nothing about what you're feeling.:kickass:

4. anthony

anthony Silently Watching Founder

Shit hot marlene... I am stoked you stoodup for yourself, and hopefully this person might just keep their mouth shut about something they truly do not understand, nor comprehend. Get over it... ha! If we could do it that easy, do people not think we would?

5. Kells

Kells Active Member

I know exactly what you mean, I personally get it from a certain someone who has no room to talk.

6. christiey

christiey New Member

i get the same thing from someone who also has ptsd but for different reasons and they are a lot further in their recovery than I am and they think that I should be at that point to but really it makes me feel worse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar