• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Where Have You Cried? (keep Finding Myself Crying In Public... Anyone Else?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashi

MyPTSD Pro
I wondered if anyone else finds themself crying in public. Sometimes I'm fully aware of this and try not to, but sometimes I'm not aware and suddenly realise.

My biggest problem is on trains, because although it's public I'm not interacting with anyone and I tend to drift off in my thoughts. Then I might "come round" and realise I have tears streaming down my cheeks. :oops:

I did something similar at work the other day - started thinking and started crying, completely forgetting for a few moments where I was.

Yesterday I was in a shop queue. Unfortunately it faces the magazines and I find it really hard not to see the covers of the lads' mags, which are really upsetting for me. I saw one and felt so defeated and the leaky tears started and were hard to hold back.

Maybe it's different if you drive (although people can still see through your window). I don't, I'm either walking or on public transport. But I wondered if other people share this little problem with me!

I have great news....You are not alone!! I understand what you are going through :)

I have been triggered and cried in public many times, probably due to the fact that I rarely leave the house and when I do I feel overwhelmed and fearful of other people.

The last time was 3 weeks ago when I took my psychiatrist's advice and went back to the gym. I had a panic attack in the steam room when someone else came in. I had another one when I couldn't get out of the shower because the lock was stuck.

In the end, I wound up sitting in the change room crying my eyes out.

I have cried at an outdoor concert, the hardware store, Walmart, restaurants, etc, etc, etc.

Sending ((((hugs)))) your way....

Hi Hashi,

Most definably you are not alone. I just got through writing about this in another thread.

Previously I had a case of my Meds side effects would make me have uncontrollable crying no matter where I was or what I was doing. I can tell you my two most embarrassing places. 1- In the lounge at the tire shop while I was getting a brake job on my old car. They thought I was crazy. 2- In my car while I'm driving. It's so embarrassing when you get to a stop light, as if everybody in the other cars can see you crying, and if you use a lot of tissue they will know you are crying.

More currently, I do still cry at the drop of a dime, but it's more of a heartfelt and more controllable cry. And yes it happens most everywhere and even while I'm driving. I'm just a crybaby, LOL :cry:

Take care

I cry in school a LOT during flashbacks. I've cried in a restaurant during flashbacks. Most of the time though I just cry in bed, in my closet, or in the shower. It is embarrassing when I cry in a public place though-I don't like people worrying over me and finding that I've ruined a good evening. I'd rather fade into the background and let everybody be happy-despite how sad I may feel at that moment.

All the time. On the train, walking, at the shops, driving. Long hair over my face and sunglasses are very useful, when I feel the tears coming they come down.

Recently there was a costume parade at the school and I was standing there watching the kids walk round in their costumes and I just started crying and I did not have my sunglasses then. I just hoped no-one noticed.

I'm usually at home; I'm too much on auto pilot in public to become outwardly emotional. Even when being triggered, there is a wall between me and the outside world. I feel emotional on the inside but rarely does it ever make it to the outside that I know of; people do look at me in a strange or curious way, but that is all the time.

Only a few times have I broken down in public and sobbed -- it is kind of an all or nothing situation when it comes to expressing emotions. When the damn breaks it floods out uncontrolled. Like when I was told in Nov (after many other job application rejections) that I wasn't what they were looking for in an employee.

Keep in mind I have 2 BS degrees and had tried for a year to find something reasonable, like lab work, but with zilch success. Then I started applying for things like janitorial positions; anything to get out of the house and feel useful. The last application in Nov was for a "zone engineer", which is a creative way of saying 'clean up crew'. I totally lost my mind when I was rejected for that. :cry: I couldn't even hold myself upright -- and I supose it only added to their belief it was right to reject my application, which made me even more upset I was breaking down in front of them.

I gave up after that; I couldn't take having worked so hard in school and no one would give me a chance.

I am on the verge of tears all the time. Alot of times when I leave the house for errands I am alone. Intrusive thoughts pop up in my head all the time. I start to cry almost every time I am in my car driving. I always wear sunglasses and always have tissues at hand.

If I am with other people I fair better. However, I am almost always alone.

I cried driving home from work today, having had one leak while at work. Will probably find the tears are back at least once before bed.

I cry when I am driving, all my memories seem to haunt me when I'm driving. I don't wipe my eyes, I just put on sunglasses and hope no-one notices.

This thread makes me extremely grateful for the fact that I haven't even passed my written driving test yet- I don't need that stuff!

Intrusive thoughts pop up in my head all the time. I start to cry almost every time I am in my car driving.

I wouldn't be able to get rid of them and probably swerve off the road.

I cried driving home from work today.

I'd probably crash the car..

I cry when I am driving, all my memories seem to haunt me when I'm driving. I don't wipe my eyes, I just put on sunglasses and hope no-one notices.

I'd probably hit a pedestrian and then get even more triggered and more flashbacks. That's it for me! I'm NEVER learning how to drive- this is safer! :cautious: I can walk, and take the train or bus anywhere around the area where I live anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back