• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporter Wife of recently-diagnosed CPTSD husband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witch

New Here
Wife of husband with CPTSD, we’ve been together 24 yrs, he’s been in and out of therapies in and off medication the whole time, now doing EMDR but things seem worse than ever. (Also he only got the diagnosis of CPTSD this year, so.) His reactions are all based in anxiety and feels like I’m always being asked to confirm that Bad Things Are Happening/Yes That Thing Is A Threat… I’ve done therapy myself, currently not active but might be going back. I don’t know where to start. I’m reading articles and opinions on line but I don’t want to make anything worse for him or myself. I’m following what his therapist says to do but it’s not working, & I’m effing exhausted, emotionally, spiritually, even physically. Any pointers/ideas/more articles, just anything- I need a lifeline here.

Peter A. Levine! More than a life-line but not for the "faint-hearted'! i.e. if you're looking for an easy way out, forget my recommendation. Though I don't recommend he himself for "C" PTSD, as his expertise is more for veterans, but his knowledge is valid, and I applied to my case: raped by the biological mother ... [self] diagnosed 25 years later ... So, it [can] works [by the Lord's leave]! though finding someone to apply it to C-PTSD might be a struggle!

Peter A. Levine! More than a life-line but not for the "faint-hearted'! i.e. if you're looking for an easy way out, forget my recommendation. Though I don't recommend he himself for "C" PTSD, as his expertise is more for veterans, but his knowledge is valid, and I applied to my case: raped by the biological mother ... [self] diagnosed 25 years later ... So, it [can] works [by the Lord's leave]! though finding someone to apply it to C-PTSD might be a struggle!
Thank you so much, I’ll check it out!!

Two things.
First of all, the changes in how your brain works mean that all your input is filtered through the fight or flight part of your brain. All it can assign things is levels of fear....so he's looking to see if it really is something to fear or not. Rational thought can help change what you feel but initial reaction is a level of fear.

Second is the result of EMDR. Think of the brain as a computer. EMDR is a program that runs on that computer and changes how you feel about memories. Add EMDR reprocessing tasks and its busy enough you don't have a lot of room to do other things.

That also means it's easier to reach that point where he's not really himself (dissociation).

Have patience, make sure hes doing all the things he needs to. Help keep him fed, and clean, medicated and all the other stuff. Do things that help remove his stress. Doesn't seem like much but every bit helps......

Two things.
First of all, the changes in how your brain works mean that all your input is filtered through the fight or flight part of your brain. All it can assign things is levels of fear....so he's looking to see if it really is something to fear or not. Rational thought can help change what you feel but initial reaction is a level of fear.

Second is the result of EMDR. Think of the brain as a computer. EMDR is a program that runs on that computer and changes how you feel about memories. Add EMDR reprocessing tasks and its busy enough you don't have a lot of room to do other things.

That also means it's easier to reach that point where he's not really himself (dissociation).

Have patience, make sure hes doing all the things he needs to. Help keep him fed, and clean, medicated and all the other stuff. Do things that help remove his stress. Doesn't seem like much but every bit helps......
That’s actually really helpful, about the EMDR, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back