• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Without this forum, i would....

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger

Sponsor
As you're hopefully aware, we're in the middle of a donations drive here on the forum for the month of July.
You can read more about that, and why it's so important, on these threads
Donation drive, july 2018 - now unlocked :)
Donations

I find these are generally also good opportunities to take a bit of time to reflect on and appreciate my time here - what I get and have got from this forum and its members, how I use and have used it, and why it's important this place exists and that I support it (for both myself and for others).

So anyway, I thought I'd start a thread for us to share some of those things that this forum has helped us with.

All you need to do to join in is start your post with the words "Without this forum, I would..." and then finish the sentence with something this forum helps/has helped or supports/has supported you with, big or small, that you might struggle/have struggled with more if it wasn't here, or maybe just something you'd miss about it if it was no longer here.

I've got several of my own that I'll add over the coming days, but I'll kick off with one that was extremely significant in my early days here...

Without this forum, I would have quit therapy. The support and information I found here helped me to stick it out at a time I really needed to.

Last edited:
Without this forum, I would have continued to feel completely alone in the world and lost as to how I could move forward.

Without this forum, I would not have had the courage to acknowledge that I needed more assistance than my outpatient team could provide in limited time and visits.

Without this forum, I would not have had the courage to beginning processing my traumas knowing that I had a safe place to turn when I needed a break.

Without this forum I would have not learnt that it was OK not feel OK some times and how to manage this and the world not collapse around me. Even those times where I’ve felt suicidal, reading how other people have managed these thoughts have been helpful.

I’ve started to learn to recognise when I’m going downhill and can start adjusting little things in my life to continue functioning and be a little less harsh on myself

Without this forum
I would have never understood that there are people who can relate to me, what I'm feeling, my situation
I would have never been able to continue therapy because I couldn't explain what I was feeling
I wouldn't have had anyone I could talk to about the insanity that has become my life
I would never have learned (ok - starting learning) that I'm not to blame for the choices someone else made

Without this forum I would not have had the courage to go out and get a job, feel responsible for another person and in general be more responsible for me! The things that have contributed to this most are having been able to put things into words here, where nowhere else I felt able to do so, even in therapy sometimes. My Diaries I am very grateful for here. Also the Art Therapy Thread, where I can share my other outlet for things, things that I am still having trouble putting into words. And by the way, I did donate. Not a lot, just what I could afford, because I have so many medical bills and need to see the Dentist right now. I have donated more in the past and I will definitely donate more in the future as I am able. Nowhere else are there people who are so understanding of this condition and who relate so well to my situations.

Life Without myptsd.com 2.jpg
Life Without mytsd.com.jpg

This painting (and the close-up of it on the right) is called "Life Without myptsd.com" and is one of those things that I need a visual on, to really get my point across!

Without this forum, I feel I would still be struggling with things that were keeping me stuck.
Without this forum, I don't know how I would have made it thru going no contact with my son.
Without this forum, I would not have connected with some of the most awesome people on the planet, all teaching me something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back