• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

MVA Witnessed a horrible accident, flashbacks already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loui50

MyPTSD Pro
I've had PTSD for 16 years. 2 days ago I witnessed a horrible accident. A young man riding a bicycle rode into traffic and was hit by a car. He laid in the street seizing as cars just drove by. I stopped and stayed with the lady that hit him as another bystander was with him. It wasn't the lady's fault. She could not have seen him coming and she had a green light. I'm already having flashbacks of this. Is that "normal" for someone who has PTSD already. I'm I going to go through this horror again?!

I'm already having flashbacks of this. Is that "normal" for someone who has PTSD already. I'm I going to go through this horror again?!
My experience is rhat if I let them come? Don’t try not to think about it, not to feel, suck it up, shove it in the box, etc? But instead, let the waves come, the feelings come, the 360 replays come. Surge and fade, surge and fade. Take a day or three and treat myself as if I’ve just had a nasty shock? Hell, even a warm bath, stiff drink, and a lie in with a good book? Or even the inverse, get all dolled up, dance, sex, etc.? Or have a nice long talk with the ocean, the rise and fall of the swells somehow making the rise and fall of thoughts and feelings come right, and having told the sea all about it, tell my human counterparts? These are the experiences that DONT tend to haunt.

It’s one of those things that’s so “simple”. Spend a couple days processing though it all, in different ways as desired, and voila. Just a memory. No fangs. No claws. No need to spend years and years with it. It just sort of “settles”, and becomes insubstantial all on its own. No shoving it into a box it’s trying to claw it’s way out of.

Thanks Friday. I've walked the beach, listening to the waves. I've tried hot showers and time relaxing. I've talked it through with my husband. I'll try to quit fighting it. The first flashback really got me, I was just putting my daughter to bed but it was the day it happened. Maybe talking it through in Therapy will help?? I trust her and she always knows what to say. I have worked through 2 of my 3 traumas and they don't haunt me as badly now. I'm working on the childhood trauma. I certainly don't want another one to work through!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back