• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Working through cptsd for years has been hard work. Hoping to feel less alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth 86

New Here
Hi all,

I'm new to blogging. Not new to disappointing my (new) husband, binge drinking and puking on my in-laws bathroom floor on Christmas Eve, all while telling myself I'm "making such good progress."

Needless to say I'm sober, working through an action plan with my therapist (who is trained in cptsd and substance use disorders). I also recently started Lexapro in September.

I've been actively working thru my cptsd for years and sometimes it just feels so hard! I'm hoping joining the community will help me feel less alone.

Liz

Needless to say I'm sober, working through an action plan with my therapist

hello elizabeth. welcome to myptsd. needless to say? ? ? it's not mine to sort, but it seems like that single statement has several libraries worth unpacking.

recovering from cptsd is, indeed, long, hard work. breaking my isolation to feel less alone with it might be the most important piece of my own recovery. opening up to my therapy peer supporters not only helps me feel more human, it provides an ongoing wealth of experience in translating pro psychobabble into sensible actions which actually work outside the pages of a book.

i hope you'll feel safe to unpack all those gory details here. welcome aboard.

hello elizabeth. welcome to myptsd. needless to say? ? ? it's not mine to sort, but it seems like that single statement has several libraries worth unpacking.

recovering from cptsd is, indeed, long, hard work. breaking my isolation to feel less alone with it might be the most important piece of my own recovery. opening up to my therapy peer supporters not only helps me feel more human, it provides an ongoing wealth of experience in translating pro psychobabble into sensible actions which actually work outside the pages of a book.

i hope you'll feel safe to unpack all those gory details here. welcome aboard.
I appreciate your perceptiveness, arfie. And, yes - it's absolutely hard work. Sometimes it feels as though I've made so much progress only to fall backwards again. I've been feeling pretty hopeless these past few days after being judged harshly by my new in-laws (who are not qualified to make diagnoses or give advice on this imo).

I hope talking things out with people who truly understand can serve to help me in my recovery.

Sometimes it feels as though I've made so much progress only to fall backwards again.

personally, i call that, "the recovery 3 step." one step forward, two steps back. by whatever name, it seems to be a recovery cliché that 100% of the brothers and sisters-in-healing i have shared with have experienced. i believe it is nature's way of keeping us from throwing proverbial babies out with the bathwater. in the hard, psychotic work of recovery, it is all too easy to overlook and/or misinterpret important details. the recovery 3 step forces me to back up and take another look.

as for the harsh reaction from the in-laws. . . even when they are fully loving, supportive and qualified to therapute john q public, family members make notoriously lousy therapists. detaching far enough to remain objective during treatment is somewhere between difficult and impossible. it helps me to bring my therapy needs to my therapy support network while i let family members be "just" family.

personally, i call that, "the recovery 3 step." one step forward, two steps back. by whatever name, it seems to be a recovery cliché that 100% of the brothers and sisters-in-healing i have shared with have experienced. i believe it is nature's way of keeping us from throwing proverbial babies out with the bathwater. in the hard, psychotic work of recovery, it is all too easy to overlook and/or misinterpret important details. the recovery 3 step forces me to back up and take another look.

as for the harsh reaction from the in-laws. . . even when they are fully loving, supportive and qualified to therapute john q public, family members make notoriously lousy therapists. detaching far enough to remain objective during treatment is somewhere between difficult and impossible. it helps me to bring my therapy needs to my therapy support network while i let family members be "just" family.
So sorry you went through so much pain, Christina. Your feelings are absolutely justified. Glad you're here.

detaching far enough to remain objective during treatment is somewhere between difficult and impossible. it helps
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for your insights. I know I am still on the path to healing, just hit a bump. I'm sure there will be more. But today, I'm okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back