• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Worried she doesn't like me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get along well with my therapist. She isn't doing anything wrong or anything to make me feel this way. She validates me and reassures me any time I need it that she doesn't see me as attention seeking or other negatives I worry about.

I worry though that she doesn't like me, or like working with me and that she is good to me ONLY because she is a good therapist, which would be fair enough. I still trust her, and can still tell her most things but it bugs me a lot. I worry about things like "has she run out of empathy for me"...but in fairness I never believe that anyone would have empathy for me because I don't feel it is deserved. I don't mean like me, as in I want her to like me enough to be a friend type of liking...I just want her to like me enough that she doesn't dislike working with me.It might be worth noting that within sessions we laugh a lot.

Should I talk to her about it? Or leave it because it doesn't stop me telling her things. It does hinder me letting her closer though. Her modality of therapy tends to rely on the therapeutic relationship as part of the healing I think, so maybe its important to tell her my worries. I don't want to sound pathetic though.

@UnicornSightings What was her reply if you don't mind saying?
She just listened. She was big in just giving space to things that came up. Smart, really. Had she reassured me that she didn’t I would’ve never believed her.

Although I think she would say to just look at behavior as a gauge. She never treated me in any way like I wasn’t welcome. Didn’t help much with the feelings but I did know my thoughts were faulty.

You know, I told my current t that and that those thoughts might come up with him. He said you’d be able to feel it. A felt sense. And honestly, since he said that, I feel nothing but warmth from him. Super weird, trusting in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@UnicornSightings
That makes sense. I am glad tellings yours did help. I get no being able to believe her had she told you.
I watch mines body language a lot. I read that folded arms are negative and a bad sign. She folds hers sometimes when talking to me. I might be reading too much into it though. She might just be cold O_O. I panic so much when she folds her arms.

That was very wise of your current T ^_^. It sounds wonderful to be able to feel that warmth. I have trouble "feeling" other peoples emapthy towards me. It's like there is a pane of glass between me and them. I can feel empathy FOR others but not towards myself or the emapthy given to me

tell her about the arm thing! That would totally bother me, too. I do it when I’m shutting down or being defensive. Do you do it there? Sometimes they mirror body language. My current t used to glance away a lot. I told him in an email that really bothered me and he stopped.

I didn’t really “feel” warmth with my former t, either. I honestly think it was because he said that that I felt it. Or tuned into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand. I've felt this way before. We never really talked about it but I've tried to silence my thoughts about it. When I'm able to i feel better

I think no harm in discussing though. I think many people feel this

Not really. At least no more than anxiety does in general.

Ive really been lucky to have a incredibly patient therapist who took so many times to show me he cares and i matter and to even tell me that i was worth getting to know.

Those things are what i focus on. Yes its a job. Yes they are nice to all clients but no he doesnt have to say and do these things if he hated me. Ya know?

It might be helpful to journal stuff like this. It does for me. I'll sometimes even share what i write so its easier to bring up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back