• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Would Love Some Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLH0918

New Here
Hello, my name is Rachael and I am a college student. I have been experiencing very bad health since the begining of January this year. Prior to my many symptoms I found out that my younger brother attempted suicide and was hospitalized for a few weeks. When I found out about this I was extremely shocked and did not really talk to anyone about it. Since that happened I have been chronically ill with tension headaches, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, fatigue, stomach upset, and the list goes on. I did not relate any of my symptoms to this experience, rather I have been from doctor to doctor being treated for thyroid dysfunction with medication that has only made me worse. Today I went back to the doctor again and he straight forward told me that he did not think there was anything physically wrong with me, rather I should see psychiatric help. He asked me if there had been a traumatic experience and I pretty much broke down telling him everything. Since January I unfortunately have found out that my parents are divorcing which has not helped my well-being. I was curious if my story sounds similar to PTSD or if maybe someone has another suggestion for me? I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Hi Rachael,

Sorry to hear all those things in your life are not going so well. Unfortunately, this does not sound like PTSD. This is most likely just some anxiety and depression that you have from a case off a rough time. I would be seeking help now though, because if not treated now, then you could end up with PTSD possibly later in life. Basically, from everything you have written here, you are very curable and treatable, and you should really thank your lucky stars that you don't have PTSD. PTSD is not curable, nor would you wish you had it.

PTSD is not just about the symptoms associated with it, but more the combination and intensity of those syptoms. You most certainly need to seek a counsellor, social worker or psychiatrist to help you now, before things get progressively worse.

Trust me when I say, you really should be very thankful that you don't have PTSD, and really you don't ever want to hope to have it, as it is honestly worse than terminal cancer in my opinion.

Hi Racheal,

Sorry to hear that you have been having such a rough time, it would really upset me (to say the very least) if my younger brother did something similar. I concur with Anthony, it doesn't sound like PTSD (as we understand it) but you have had something traumatic happen and you sound like you need to talk about it. Please see if you can talk to someone about what is going on with you. Do you have a counsellor at college or perhaps they can recommend some locally funded counsellor for you? Your doctor has already identified that your physical symptoms are the result of what is going on in your mind......nothing to be ashamed of. It happens to all of us in varying degrees, its just that in your case you are keeping it all to yourself. Think of it like this - if you broke your leg your body would be under physical stress and you would help yourself heal by going to a professional (doctor). The same if your mind is under too much stress, it would help to speak with a professional who deals with the mind (counsellor, psychologist or psychiatrist) to help you heal. Stress has a way of making us physically and mentally sick in varying degrees..........just ask some of those with PTSD on this forum.

Please take care of you. Feel free to post again if we can be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back