• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Would this work to free a stuck tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverthesame

MyPTSD Pro
*This is a technical question. I am not asking for war stories. I would never do that, especially on this site.*

I am reading a fictional novel about a U.S. mechanised brigade engaging in combat with the Soviet Union.

At some point during the novel, the protagonists tank (M1-a1 Abrahms) becomes high centred on a tree stump, amid the confusion the stuck tank is not noticed and this tank and crew are accidently left behind on their own.

The stranded crew employ a rather clever means of getting rolling again. They take a length of cable that is apparently commonly stored on a tank, attaching it to the tracks so the cable spanned the bottom of the vehicle.
They then applied forward power which pulled the cable along the length of the tank, where it hooked the stump and dragged the tank off the stump.

My question is, would that actually work?
To my little civilian mind, this makes perfect sense.
But, I have never been in an M1-a1. Which got me thinking, what about weight? Those things aren't light.
You'd need a rather heavy guage cable to drag something that heavy.
Could a single tank crew physically manhandle such a cable on their own?

Do they in fact have a sufficiently large cable to do this, stored on a tank?

Would the tread and pulleys be able to handle that much lateral torque, or would it just tear off the tread?

Anyway, there's my question(s).
I hope I'm not being inappropriate asking this. If I am, let me know. I won't ask anything like this again if it is.

Thank you to anyone who reads this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back