• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Wrong therapist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyLou

Learning
Ever feel like your therapist just isn't right for you? I don't know, the more I think about it....the more I think we aren't the right fit. She's actually really nice....but I just remember saying something to her and expected her to kinda validate it being a trauma response, like I thought but it was just brushed off a little....maybe, or I'm being too sensitive? She isn't actually a trauma therapist. I've emailed another therapist that deals specifically with a**se/r*pe....Will cost a little more but I think I'm at the point where I really have to just get on and prioritise myself and pay the extra. I don't want to stop, now I've started because I know I'll leave it too long and then not do it.

Ever feel like your therapist just isn't right for you?
I used to move all the time, so I had finding an ADHD therapist down to an artform. From hundreds to 5 to 1… in the space of a few hours of phone calls, and a few interview appointments.

Finding a Trauma therapist, for the first time? Was waaaaaay harder. In order to find one who had experience with my trauma history & that I got on with, on a personal level? I had to take a train 5 hours away…. And finding him? Took me months and months of searching in increasingly wider circles.

Then next trauma therapist I had literally took 1 phone call! 🤣 And he was a 10 minute walk from where I was living. I just got lucky. (Nope, he wasn’t even on this side of the country during my previous search, but had moved out here last year). I’ve never gotten a hole-in-one in my life, prior.

So my expectation from experience is that the vast majority of therapists I’m going to call/meet with will not be right for me. And almost never the first one I see. Although the bloke I last worked with is proof it can happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back