• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Wtf? did i change my name for nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana1010

Policy Enforcement
I just looked up a relative online and found all these sites like Spokeo and Reverse Phone Lookup that have me listed as a relative. How the hell do they know that? I'm not on social, and my mobile number isn't even in my name. They have my old name and new name listed, past addresses, etc. If anyone found out that I was related to these people, it would destroy me.

Does it come down to social security number? Does anyone know how I can get myself off of those sites? Should I hunt down each one individually and request that they remove me? Is there some kind of master database? Do I have to change my social security number (if that's possible)? This is really an outrage.

just looked up a relative online and found all these sites like Spokeo and Reverse Phone Lookup that have me listed as a relative. How the hell do they know that?
Change of name are public records. So the data mining stuff that sites use to find out that information trawls through public records and links maiden/married/legally changed names together.

If you want a protected name change it goes through a different court (superior, i think, instead municiple?), and there usually has to be cause shown as to why you want a protected name change (as well as oftentimes proof you have no debt / this isn’t an attempt to defraud creditors) ; and those records are not public, therefore not able to be collated by search engines & data mining programs; but only searchable via licensed individuals, and state/federal agencies. IE Private investigators, bounty hunters, police, courts, FBI, etc.

Do I have to change my social security number (if that's possible)?
It’s completely possible to change your SSN, but most people don’t because

- It permanently severs all education (k12- university credits / degrees earned, certifications & licenses), work/salary/tax history, military service, and a few other odds and ends -credit history, life insurance, etc,- that people have spent years acquiring.

- Any decent private investigator can find a SSN change, almost as easily as they can find a name change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back