• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

You Have To Ask The Right Questions - PTSD Course in Tomah VA Hospital, Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclayjim

New Here
I'm Jim. A Nam vet, was a Corpsman with the Marines. Got married a year after Nam.....and for all the years from '67' to '98' I thought I was the odd-ball outside of "those normal people". I'm amazed my wife has stuck it out. I'm getting help from the VA, but what I discovered less than a year ago is that there are more helping programs in the VA than they volunteer to tell you. I kept asking and asking until I finally hit on the right question; "Is there a PTSD group I can attend?" It was then from the group members that I learned that there was also a nine week live-in course at the Tomah VA Hospital here in Wisconsin. What a difference in my marriage that made! I actually communicate with my wife now, rather than get angry and go isolate myself. I'm a long way from being "cured" and I know I'll never be fully okay, but I'm a better husband than before and now I can work on the other parts of PTSD. One step at a time. My point is tell your caregiver what you think you need, ask questions and then ask again. Meds and counciling help but there are other avenues for help also.

wow, how great is that - that you found the nine-week course! Never heard of anything like that but after all the time you have suffered, I'm so glad it helped you.

Jim,
Welcome and thank you for the advice. I am excited to tell a friend this weekend your news. She was a nurse in Vietnam. She is trying to get a diagnosis for PTSD, but is so beaten down in my opinion that it is hard for her to even ask questions. I will talk/listen more with her this weekend and see if I can help her in any way.
See you around,
Patty

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. Well done on getting yourself the help you needed, and for now knowing what you have done in your relationship, accepting these faults, and working through being a nicer person to your wife and others overall. Huge well done. Those courses are readily available throughout Australia, its just for people to really go and do them if they want them. Lucky I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back