• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Young and Angry - Why So Angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying something isn't allowing PTSD to control you Piglet... probably the opposite as you just stated, that not saying something is because your afraid of what PTSD may do... that means PTSD is winning. If you need to say something, say it, don't let people walk over you if thats not you really being you. Discussion is fine, voicing your opinion is fine, but if you get distressed and angry and begin taking that out on people within that discussion, then that could be traits of PTSD coming through, which is where you need to be mindful.

An example of this exact thing with myself, is that I used to not say anything, exactly as you are, but then realised if I didn't, the same thing as what your experiencing now, people walk over you, do things and so forth with no regard for you. So, I used to say something then walk away, so it was noted. If I didn't walk away, which I didn't a few times, I ended up trying to get over people to kill someone who upset me. That was PTSD coming through... so voicing my opinion, listening to the other side of it, then walking away with no response worked some of the time atleast, compared to just being walked over.

Your allowing PTSD to win though if you say nothing in fear of it controlling the situation. Speak up, but know your limits, look for signs that you getting upset beyond reproach, then either use relaxation to calm you down before proceeding, or say you bit and walk away to calm down, so nothing happens that you may regreat later.

Trouble is - I get upset very quickly! All I want to do is get out of there, so I end up saying yes and no in the right places so that I speed up the end of the conversation. Guess I need to work on being assertive without getting angry!

Bingo... assertive is the end aim Piglet. We must be assertive with PTSD, within limits obviously, to ensure our overall mental health remains healthy, and where not just being walked over because we say nothing in fear of losing control if upset. Nice work... well done. Thats twice, or three times, in the last 24 hours that you have identified immediate issues with yourself that need fixing to help recover from PTSD. Oh, I like this Piglet, I really do. Please keep this going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back