• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Your Experience With IFS (Internal Family Systems) Therapy & Regression Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was holding off on answering, as I’m not an IFS-fan… but it IS hugely popular here in the forums (nearly all the “parts-work” threads & mentions one reads are IFS based).

I talk about why here ^^^

But I’m fairly certain people who love IFS/Parts work simply missed this thread being posted & will be able to chime in fairly soon

have others here experienced ifs (internal family system) therapy and regression therapy?what was your experienc?
I have been using IFS for over a year and it has helped me to heal some early childhood trauma. I highly recommend it. There are many good videos free on YouTube and several free groups on Facebook that provide introductions to the concepts.

My T does transactional analysis which uses parts in the theory—not the same as IFS but enough to where my T “gets it.” I’m aware that she uses regression to work through the issues. I haven’t figured out how much she “controls the regression.” My understanding of IFS is that the regression is kind of controlled explicitly. For example, the therapist might say something like, “We have talked about getting in contact with your exile and I would like to try to talk to them if that’s okay with you and with the protectors of your exile. Can you check in with the protector and ask them if it’s okay for me to talk to them? They said yes? Ok, thank you. If at any time they change their mind please let me know. I would like to know if I am now speaking to the exile. Etc.”

I got this information from YouTube videos where Dick Schwartz himself was demonstrating this technique. And people can talk to themselves that way too and journal the answers.

With my T the regression feels like it just happens and I may be completely unconscious of it, which I especially was in the beginning. It doesn’t feel like my T is engaging with me in a different way—like accommodating or encouraging the regression. I usually end up having a lot of self judgment when it happens and it can be hard to come out of it quickly. So it feels like a delicate dance is going on. It is very uncomfortable and parts of me are frightened and angry by it.

But over time as I recover and integrate I noticed that it’s easier at times for me to have access to that little part and even becoming incrementally more welcome or forgiving to it. T told me that in a healthy person the little part can emerge and flow through the system in an easy way—it’s not blocked. It’s nice to understand that, it makes sense for me.

So that’s my experience with regression therapy and parts work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back