• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Zentangle madness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
I'm art therapy this week we learned how to do zentangles. It's amazing how quickly I was able to pick up this creative form of expression! I also love how calming (and dare I say mindful) it is to me.

These are my first two zentangles. I'm surprised how well they turned out! I used regular 3.5" x 3.5" card stock and Pilot Precise Rollerball Pens. (They come in a variety of colors so some of my next zentangles will be in color!)

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Does anyone else do zentangles? Will you share your creations?

(Remember we can only share things we own, our own creations.)

I have just started too! :-) But I don't know how to post them here. I am up to my fourth one. I love it! Its so relaxing, I've even used it in the middle of the night to help me relax enough to go back to sleep.

I am going to colour mine. In fact when I first bought the book, I thought it was a colouring book and then when I realized it was a how-to book I thought, oh well, I can do the drawings and then colour them in. Haven't done much colouring yet though.

Very very LIKE!!!

I started art therapy on my own and find it can be super calming.

Both of the drawings to posted are amazing! I think I would go for the first one as well more for simplistic yet definitive lines. The other obviously shows that you notice the details of things.

Those are fantastic! Good for you!

I am mobile, so I take pictures of my zentangles with my phone, crop them, and then use the "upload file" button that is right under the "post reply" button. I hope this helps! I think you can open a help ticket if you need moderator help with uploading your pictures.

What's zentangle?? Is this something you draw or something someone else draws and you color?? I've nev...

Zentangles are line drawings that you create and then add shading to if you desire. (I prefer to leave mine unshaded.)

Here is a how to link:

Get Started

(I looked elsewhere but other people make the process more tedious IMHO.)

You can shade if you want, color it in if you want, use other colored pens, etc. Using color is outside of the "official" method, but I say branch off in different directions if that's where you desire to go if the basic black/white/shaded method doesn't cut it for you. I think it's all about finding a way to be creative that is mindful and grounding.

My boyfriend bought me a zentangle book yesterday so I will be able to learn more patterns and drawing techniques. But, a book is not needed! There is so much out there online about zentangle. All you really need is a pencil, black ink pen, and 3.5" x 3.5" paper.

Zentangle is so therapeutic. I credit it with saving my life, as it enabled me to slow down my panicked thinking enough to get things straighter. I go back to every time I hit a bad spot.

The idea is that you do it as a form of meditation, drawing something that is built up from just a few repeated pen stokes. One of the original tag lines is "Anything is possible, one stroke at a time". It is remarkable what you can produce, with no artistic flair at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back