General BPD/ PTSD crossover

Stitch77777

New Here
My girlfriend is diagnosed with PTSD due to childhood trauma.

She's isn't diagnosed with BPD.

I'm not a therapist it's not my place to say, but when triggered she shows a lot of characteristics of BPD.

I only ask as I bought a book for partners of people with BPD out of curiosity and with the hope it will allow us to communicate a lot better.
The book has helped me quite considerably understand some of the things going on whilst she's triggered.

And the techniques described are vastly improving our communication during times she's triggered.

It feels I'm able to support her better (she has mentioned this too).

It's only when she's triggered presents characteristics of BPD. If she has BPD it or not, it's not my place to say.

Just got me curious and wondered if there is there much crossover between BPD and PTSD ?

- PTSD shares symptoms with a whoooooooole lotta different disorders.
- CPTSD shares symptoms with a whole lotta different disorders AND all the personality disorders. (Good times!)

If she were borderline? She’d be acting like that all the time, rather than only when triggered.

The “don’t co-sign crazy” & “boundaries of TUNGSTON” that partners of untreated/active BPD folks need? Are also very useful in dealing with symptomatic PTSD. You’ll see both recommended almost constantly… but it can be a reeeeally hard skill to pick up for PTSD supporters, because it’s such a cyclic & reactive disorder, rather than symptoms always being present. >>> Like walking through a field of rakes. Fine, fine, fine, SMACKED IN THE FACE, fine, SMACKED IN THE FACE, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine…. I know it’s coming… fine? fine? fine? fine?

Last edited:
- PTSD shares symptoms with a whoooooooole lotta different disorders.
- CPTSD shares symptoms with a whole lotta different disorders AND all the personality disorders. (Good times!)

If she were borderline? She’d be acting like that all the time, rather than only when triggered.

The “don’t co-sign crazy” & “boundaries of TUNGSTON” that partners of untreated/active BPD folks need? Are also very useful in dealing with symptomatic PTSD. You’ll see both recommended almost constantly… but it can be a reeeeally hard skill to pick up for PTSD supporters, because it’s such a cyclic & reactive disorder, rather than symptoms always being present. >>> Like walking through a field of rakes. Fine, fine, fine, SMACKED IN THE FACE, fine, SMACKED IN THE FACE, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine…. I know it’s coming… fine? fine? fine? fine?
I dated someone for a year and a half with cptsd who would be fine, but every 8-10 days not fine. I kept a journal to see the patterns because I thought I was losing my mind. He was reactive, lashed out at me, sometimes was in a fugue-like state, became so angry when triggered, “saw red” and would never apologize or feel a need to change his behavior. I ended it when it became mean and abusive. I often wondered if it was combined with BPD or just asshole behavior.

Back