• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Have You Ever Hears The One About Stress Causing Shorter Lifespan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@brat17 I agree about the nursing home! I will take myself out before I live like that. I worked in nursing homes until I just could not deal with the things I saw. So no, no nursing home for me.

Surely, after all we've been thru in our lives, we could be blessed to die in our sleep. Or while eating a huge bowl of ice cream. But not the slow inhumane thing of being at the mercy of others.

The only support I have is a stepson and the people here. No family by choice. All I know is that I'm still here, putting one foot in front of the other and doing the best I can under the circumstances. I'm stressed out of my mind most days. But there are still a million things to be grateful for and I do believe that is part of what keeps me moving.

I agree ladee- my mom spent her last 2 years in a nursing home and I hated visiting there.

I understand the lack of support and no family by choice. I have distanced myself from family of origin although one sisters is battling horrible cancer so we have minimal contact. This family has never been support for me.

My husband tries to be supportive in his own ways, in reality I think he has enabled me to quit fighting for anything more than survival. It's complicated. I have a daughter that is an hour and half away and she is support. Funny, kids grew up during my most healthy (physically, mentally) time of my life and she is a good voice of reason. I drove there this morning and watched my grandson all day, even though both parents work at home, the nanny called off sick this week. So I have this awesome little grandson that makes me want to live longer and healthier. It was awesome doing this but admittedly I came home totally exhausted. I can hardly lift him, and keeping up after a 14 month on the run.....was well worth it. I am very grateful for that.

If something doesn't change in my health, I am not going to be able to do the stairs for many more years. I have 2 dogs that keep me busy and as wonderful as they are, Im not really able to walk them as I want to.

I know stress has deteriorated my health.

I hope you are right. We deserve to pass peacefully when it is time.

It's hypothesized I think that stress (amongst other things) shortens telomeres (the ends of chromosomes in essence), similar to (premature) aging and decreased immunity. (That one's for you @ladee 😉 )

I noticed they're right on the hair loss, it seems to ramp up about 3 months after.

Lots of studies that support both deterioration and spontaneous remissions with negatives/ positives.

They used to say, Stress is a killer. Of course, coping methods in response aren't necessarily life-lengthening choices. Eustress , or good stress is the excitement, challenge, passion we all need, and the stress from happy events (eg a wedding). I think it depends on if there's support, what skills there are for resilience, physical health, and meaning assigned. Some of the factors, anyway.

Hey @ladee & @brat17 , I'd spring you from any nursing home. Just saying.. 😊 Shimmerville or bust. 🤗🤗

I just wanted to add that for me, years and years of unrelieved PTSD/stress led to my body literally attempting to shut down. I had difficulty standing upright and walking and it was the opinion of several doctors that my body was shutting down as a way to prevent any further (psychological) stress. I suppose in an effort to reserve energy/preserve life. I don't pretend to fully understand the mechanisms involved.

At the time, if I became the least bit stressed, I would be overwhelmed with a deep urge to sleep. I had to quickly find a place to lie down and nap. It was a struggle I never expected to experience. This was near the beginning of my healing journey, but I never knew stress could have such a detrimental effect on the body. I don't know the scientific data on the subject so I can only share my experience, but it is interesting to note. I would imagine it is some type of hard-wired survival mechanism.

It is difficult for me to see that the experience made me stronger, tho I will admit it hasn't killed me, ...yet. I just wish I understood the way this whole "shutting down" thing works. If anyone knows, please feel free to enlighten me.

IF they could get me in there to begin with
Oops, yes @ladee , I didn't think murder.. prison. That is going to take more than grabbing a wheelchair and pulling the fire alarm! 😊🤗
It is difficult for me to see that the experience made me stronger, tho I will admit it hasn't killed me, ...yet. I just wish I understood the way this whole "shutting down" thing works. If anyone knows, please feel free to enlighten me.
Not helpful @Lionheart but I would get it sometimes with someone screaming at me, etc. I think it's mental overload? But I have also found what I thought was typical high blood pressure (and used to be)- blood in my ears sound, racing body feeling, racing heart, at the same time mine is way lower than normal? So maybe oddly blood pressure? Or with your breathing troubles maybe holding your breath or the like, and not realizing/ temporary too-low blood saturation levels? Someone with knowledge may be able to help. 🤔 🤗

Thank you @Rosebud Here is a little bit of info that I found; when we experience too much stress for long periods of time our bodies may shut down due to the effects of stress on the body. We may get sick, fatigued, or develop mental health issues. Your mind and body are under such intense stress that your brain decides to simply shut everything down for a while. It's not dangerous nor does it mean anything about your mental health. I hope this helps anyone else who was wondering.

I think that a problem to the body and mind shutting down, it depends on how long it does this for. When days become weeks and week to months and even years, we can loose functions that once seemed so easy. We have muscle loss, loose strength among other things if check out for too long. The saying...if you dont use it, you loose it seems pretty true in my opinion. Cant focus to read so you dont, and it becomes harder. I find this true physically but mentally too.

Sometimes we may not think we are under much stress when in fact we are. A recent incident with my husband has put me under great stress, but from the outside looking in, most would not expect that. Most would say that I have a pretty stressful like. Yet who we live with, and how they react can be a big stressor. Even if it is just lack of emotional support or someone being super critical. It doesn't always show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back