• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hello From Kay Dee - Little Family Support with PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay Dee

Learning
Just a note . . . I have PTSD, at this time believed to be the result of a 5-year relationship with a therapist. I currently seeing a healthy therapist, and about to do an assessment for EMDR.

I am divorced (14 years now); attended a 2-year Human Services Program in college for AA degree, which led me to my position as Supervisor in an adult foster home for adults with disabilities. I am 46 and am amazed I am still kicking. I find my comfort in nature; and I love animals. I have somewhat of a trust issue with people, but am getting better.

That is enough for now. . .

Hi Kay,

Glad to see another here. EMDR, wow... (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). I hadn't heard about that until you just mentioned it, so I looked it up: *** for those intested.

Yer, trust is a major issue for us all I think!!! I trust three people on this planet, my wife, my dad, and one of my elder brothers... and that's it. Everyone else seems to let you down at some point, from my experience. I am learning to become more trusting, but still people let me down, so I guess I still apply my "personal tests" on new people, ie. give them something they could talk about, gossip or pass on to someone else, and see if they fail or not... my trustworthiness test. My counsellors said its a bit harsh, but it works for me... and generally helps sort friends from associates.

It is a fight everyday just to get bye, but worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hi Kay,

I'm Kerrie-Ann, Anthony's wife and trust him to go straight away and find out what EMDR is............we had only just looked at the forum and I asked him if he knew what it was. Now we both do! Welcome, you and I have something in common and that is a love of animals, Anthony will back this up as I am often rescuing 'fluffies' (geckos) from my male cat (who thinks he is doing the right thing!). You just can't go wrong with the love of an animal. Do you have pets?

Thankyou for taking the brave step of logging onto the forum. I know as well as any partner of someone with PTSD that trust is a huge issue. It takes some courage to admit that you have PTSD to yourself, let alone people on a faceless forum. We are genuine and the aim is only to help others. Please log on and chat as you need to.

Kay Dee

Hi Kerri-Ann Thank you for your note. I must admit, I am a bit nervous, but we have to take risks on our journey through life. Yes, an animal lover I am; and yes, I do have a pet. I have a spoiled dog named Kisha. She is like my kid, and I spoil her to no end. She certainly is great comfort to me in tough times. I also just returned from a short trip to a state park. I like photography, and took many pictures.

I, at this time, live with my parents and brother. I am divorced, and not currently dating. My family does have a hard time understanding the experience of PTSD, but they are supportive if I need them to be. PTSD is just not talked about much. I have been seeing a therapist, Nancy, and now will be seeing another therapist for EMDR. So for a time, I will not be seeing Nancy. Only for periodic checks. I have read much on EMDR, and feel somewhat nervous about re-remembering the long experience. But will find out a lot more before going through with it from the therapist.

P.S. Looks like I posted my note in the wrong place. I clicked on "Reply" Was this correct? Or do I post somewhere else?

I am happy to have found this PTSD forum. It's nice to know that there are other people with an understanding of PTSD to talk to.

Thanks again!

Hi Kay,

Pleased to see that we haven't scared you away. I too am a lover of dogs but have two cats at the moment - Sassi (female lilac burmese) and Baloo (brown male burmese) and they are beautiful.

Must be tough living without understanding of your condition, family obviously want to help and don't like to see you in distress but without having PTSD themselves it is very confusing. From my own perspective, as the partner of someone with PTSD, you want to help but you are never quite really sure which is the best approach. Does one member of your family help the most? Would they be prepared to read books to gain more information? I found that helped me quite a bit. I don't have it but I still live with it daily. The EMDR sounds promising and hopefully that will help aid your healing a little bit.

As for your post, you posted it in the right place - at least as far as I can tell. My husband is the computer geek! And as for the chat, feel free to log on anytime. Either my husband or I will check the forum during the day.

Yer, I think you need to get them knowledgable on PTSD... as from my perspective, it has helped me HEAPS since Kerrie-Ann knows more about it, as when I'm having my moments, she knows when to back off, and often when to let me know I'm going bad.

It's funny though in perspective, that all of us with PTSD know exactly what one another are talking about, though its often hard to explain the feelings associated with us, to another without it.

I have also now split this thread to the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread26.html"]PTSD chat[/DLMURL] forum for continuance, as the discussion was headed very much that way.

More just to keep the forum neat and tidy for reading purposes, nobody's fault. Forums just do that, its natural.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back