• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ED Muscle pain & Eating - restricted calorie intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and the whole underweight idea... Nah. You can die of bad nutrition no matter the weight you are, because your body is not getting enough of anything to function.

So please please, don't go that route of thinking just the weight and comforting yourself with X weight it ain't a problem... for serious distortion.

as to wonder if they are related, I'm fairly guessing they are. Least IME.

Meal replacement shakes -or- Nutrition Shakes / Protein Shakes / Diet Shakes?
I’m using the diet ones
i have a much longer post in drafts... but this is your problem, right here.

Meal replacement shakes have the full range of nutrition your body needs. Diet shakes -if you don’t supplement with whole balanced meals- will leave you tragically malnourished, as there missing key components of nutrition. Much like eating fortified cereal is better than eating bread, but cereal is still missing key components to a complete diet.

There are different TYPES of meal replacement shakes. Personally, I mostly use a kind designed for chemo patients. They’re designed not for weight gain / calorie consumption (like some of the meal replacement shakes designed for toddlers and the elderly, or for weight lifters bulking before cutting) but building blocks to help repair damaged muscles, organs, bones. I supplement those with V8, Protein Shakes, & Vitamins. My daily caloric intake when on these? About 400-600kcal. But it’s very DENSE nutrition. Once I’ve got my metabolism up and moving. I can struggle to keep weight on at 20,000kcal. But when my eating has been as bad as it’s been I have to convince my body we’re in the land of milk and honey before it stops converting things I need to fat (just to be safe! :banghead: ), and start building muscles/organs again & burning off adipose stores; I can very easily be gaining both size & weight on just 400kc & hiking 10 miles a day. But when those 400kc are dense? I can not only remain stable but double to 800 & double again to 1600.... and not only not gain a pound, but start losing, again. But those calories have to be dense/complete nutrition. Any gaps and I’m f*cked. My body has been on the ropes too many times in the past to take any chances. It doesn’t trust me as far as it can throw me.

Don’t get sucked in by diet shakes just because you’re overweight. It’s ljke buying running shoes that are “stabilizing” when you have weak ankles. “Stabilizing” running shoes are angled outward to help stabilize people who sprain their ankles inward. If you sprain your ankles outward? “Stabilizing” shoes only serve to destabilize you further. (Yay for neutral shoes!) Complete Nutrition Shakes have apx. the same caloric load as diet shakes, but don’t have gaps that leave your body shredding itself for needed nutrients.

Had your quote about "supposed to eat veg" but not doing it... and using apple...lost it

Yeah... what Friday said. That and the fact that conditioning your body to grab sugar either in the fructose or drink isn't a substitute for vegetables. Why can't you do a veg smoothie?

I’m supposed to still eat a couple of cups of veges a day with these shakes. But the only food I can seem to actually put in my mouth is apples, and even then, I don’t always manage a small apple each day.
This bit is a potentially big issue and sets you up adversely if not resolved.

Spending a whole lot more time buying up eggs (what aisle do they even have eggs in? Is that like the fridge aisle!?) and stuff isn’t exactly an attractive prospect.

HUH? With all due respect, what's with the "spending a whole lot more time" with regard to this issue? I'd be busting that down fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel most responses are so focused on pathology that they are missing the point view of the poster.
If you are not diagnosed nor agreed with it nor think you have an eating disorder... I am with you and I believe you. It is also possible you are under an encredible stress and other life challenges that your eating habits are noticebly different to you.
It is no different than when we are stressed and our sleeping or sex drive gets impacted... No one tells us we are diagnosed with this or that. I applaud you for recognizing your change of appetite and trying to find solution.
Did this ever happened and if yes what did you do about it? If not, do you usually react certain somatic ways when you are under stress? Are you under new thing or stress? So many unknown. Hope you take care of your body the best you know how.

To your initial question: When eating in an extreme deficit - and that's what you're doing - the body will gain it's required energy from metabolizing its muscle tissue. In addition to probably lacking vitamins/iron/... all of this can and does cause muscle pain.

Your frustration with the topic and the notion that you >might< have an eating disorder is palpable (but you know, we all here don't have PTSD, do we? ;) ) so you probably will shut down to most anything that's gonna be said on the topic.

e I pretty much need my seroquel to survive, and it’s always made me put on weight. And so now I’m not putting on weight, even though I’m using up to 500mg (yeah, half a gram, I know) a day.

In order to gain weight (you sure it's not only water?) you have to eat more calories than you metabolize. I somehow doubt that you'd suddenly eat 3-4 times the calories you currently do? That would be very extremes of both ends. I get your concerns with possibly gaining weight due to medication, I really absolutely do (because I'm also reluctant to take anything due to weight concerns).

I second the shakes/smoothies idea if you have a hard time eating solid food. Also eggs.

Look into ordering groceries instead of having to go to the stores. At least here, many stores offer delivery.

And I get frustrated with "dietitians" who give umbrella recommendations. Required calories are so much dependent on weight/size AND personal metabolism - and 700-800 cals longterm is way too little for pretty much everyone.

Be kind to your body. Because...really? This can exacerbate your mental problems (I know I sound like probably most Ts - so sorry about that)

Last edited:
To your initial question: When eating in an extreme deficit - and that's what your doing - the body will gain it's required energy from metabolizing its muscle tissue. In addition to probably lacking vitamins/iron/... all of this can and does cause muscle pain.

Your frustration with the topic and the notion that you >might< have a eating disorder is palpable (but you know, we all here don't have PTSD, do we? ;) ) so you probably will shut down to most anything that's gonna be said on the topic.

In order to gain weight (you sure it's not only water?) you have to eat more calories than you metabolize. I somehow doubt that you'd suddenly eat 3-4 times the calories you currently do? That would be very extremes of both ends. I get your concerns with possibly gaining weight due to medication, I really absolutely do (because I'm also reluctant to take anything due to weight concerns).

I second the shakes/smoothies idea if you have a hard time eating solid food. Also eggs.

Look into ordering groceries instead of having to go to the stores. At least here, many stores offer delivery.

And I get frustrated with "dietitians" who give umbrella recommendations. Required calories are so much dependent on weight/size AND personal metabolism - and 700-800 cals longterm is way too little for pretty much everyone.

Be kind to your body. Because...really? This can exacerbate your mental problems (I know I sound like probably most Ts - so sorry about that)

This exactly.

@grit, I get what you are saying. But I think glossing over a clear issue is dangerous. Pretending nothing is wrong when there is obviously something wrong will just breed more issues in the future.

Not getting enough calories will absolutely make any other problems worse. Anxiety, depression, etc will be worse when you're not getting enough. That's along with any physical issues that are being caused.
I know this is alot to take in. I wish you all the best in however you conquer this beast.

Kabush
I respectfully disagree with you. I am choosing to support sideways as she knows herself better than me. I encourage you to focus on her not on me. Thank you.

First of all, why is it almost every time you address me you spell my name wrong? Not a huge deal but it’s literally right there, right next to my photo lol.

Second, I absolutely support Sideways. That is why I’m encouraging her to be healthy and not be in denial or ignore the fact that what she is doing is dangerous. If you actually read what she says, you will see that she acknowledges that she doesn’t always notice problems as problems until they are detrimental. Soooo I’m pretty sure everyone here has been respectful, informative, and care deeply about her. Being supportive does not always mean saying what you think someone wants to hear. It’s saying the truth regardless of how they feel about it. She’s in pain because she’s more than likely got a nutrient deficiency-not much clearer of an issue than that.

Re. The shopping issue @Sideways:

You say that aint fun, at all.
You got littles aboard, right?
Can you turn that into one?

I know say for teens it aint the same fun as for littler kids, buut shopping for groceries is a type of shopping, which can be fun. Even with ptsd & food triggers.

... We play Just hit by the zombie apocalypse, look at all the people in here, goal is dont hurt anyone & stock up *proper*, not just coffee, with that. Granted, still forget milk every so often, but hey, my own fault, if I told the kids we are hunting trolls, we would have even the milk cartons, cos ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back