• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New here - any suggestions to help avoid nightmares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nightmares/night terrors also. I have found that listening to sounds like white noise helps reduce the frequency of them. I use an app from Google Play Store called White Noise Lite. I set the timer on it and plug my phone into my boombox stereo nightly.

@Wonder Woman Ethical mining issues non mentioned... (if not a fake? The soo cheap crystals quite often are not ethically mined. As in children in Congo working in conditions they die by tens daily.

Still sleeping so well?)

... crystals have 0 active components that could help with sleep, unlike herbs, realistically.

Placebo & belief.
I'm all for yourself calming yourself, and good vibes and what not. But it don't fix the long term issue.

And if you are spending $$ on crystals instead of things like legit medication, food, rent? Yeah. They can add a whole lotta trouble.

@Wonder Woman Ethical mining issues non mentioned... (if not a fake? The soo cheap crystals quite often are not ethically mined. As in children in Congo working in conditions they die by tens daily.

Still sleeping so well?)

... crystals have 0 active components that could help with sleep, unlike herbs, realistically.

Placebo & belief.
I'm all for yourself calming yourself, and good vibes and what not. But it don't fix the long term issue.

And if you are spending $$ on crystals instead of things like legit medication, food, rent? Yeah. They can add a whole lotta trouble.

Sh*t, Ronin! Obviously, I don't want to give money to further the exploitation and abuse of children in the Congo, or anywhere else for that matter. I didn't realize.

I'm just trying to get a decent nights sleep every now and again. I've built up a tolerance to the Xanax, and I'm really struggling. Don't want to completely lose my mind.

I have nightmares/night terrors also. I have found that listening to sounds like white noise helps reduce the frequency of them. I use an app from Google Play Store called White Noise Lite. I set the timer on it and plug my phone into my boombox stereo nightly.

Hi, Whispering_Truth. Listening to relaxing instrumental music or nature sounds use to work somewhat for me. However, those things haven't been helpful for a long while, at least a couple of months.

I'm glad you found something that works.

FYI: There's a youtube channel/poster called Ambient Worlds that produces great stuff for anyone who might want help finding calming music and nature sounds.

@Wonder Woman
I knoow, no worries, it's just human rights things often unknown to New Age / Pagan / witchy / lightworker / insert your tradition people, so mentioning it.

Talking with a doctor about meds & dosages or adding a new medication that would work better with Xanax you have might be worth the consult, as sleep is needed.

Some times one med can only do so much.

I made myself a dream catcher. I just like them and I'm learning how to make them. I also used prazosin for awhile. I would have the nightmares, but not react. I still have nightmares, but I have lavender candles and take a bath with lavender epsom salts before bed. I also listen to audiobooks. I've trained myself (unintentionally) to sleep when I hear a certain voice actor. I keep the book on all night really low. It seems to help with the nightmares for me.

@Wonder Woman
I knoow, no worries, it's just human rights things often unknown to New Age / Pagan / witchy / lightworker / insert your tradition people, so mentioning it.

Talking with a doctor about meds & dosages or adding a new medication that would work better with Xanax you have might be worth the consult, as sleep is needed.

Some times one med can only do so much.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a call into my psychiatrist. I'll see what he says.

I made myself a dream catcher. I just like them and I'm learning how to make them. I also used prazosin for awhile. I would have the nightmares, but not react. I still have nightmares, but I have lavender candles and take a bath with lavender epsom salts before bed. I also listen to audiobooks. I've trained myself (unintentionally) to sleep when I hear a certain voice actor. I keep the book on all night really low. It seems to help with the nightmares for me.

It's funny you mentioned dream catchers, because a while ago I bought a dream catcher kit. Still have it somewhere. Don't think I have the patience right now to attempt putting it together.

I also use lavender. I like the fragrance, but to be honest I really haven't noticed any calming benefits. I burn soy candles and lose myself in the flame sometimes, but that hasn't worked for me recently.

I can't concentrate well enough to read much at a time or follow an audiobook. My mind is pretty much doing its own thing, not listening to me much especially at night.

Mirtazapine/ Remeron will also knock you out in low doses but may not help with the added nightmares. It will get you to sleep but unless you are taking it along with something in the morning to get you going you will be groggy.

Mirtazapine/ Remeron will also knock you out in low doses but may not help with the added nightmares. It will get you to sleep but unless you are taking it along with something in the morning to get you going you will be groggy.

Thanks for the suggestion, Rainman8772. I was on mirtazapine for a long time, and went off it last year. Didn't realize how much it messed with me, until I went off of it. So, I'm not trying it again. You're right, though, it makes you foggy.

Thanks for the suggestion, Rainman8772. I was on mirtazapine for a long time, and went off it last year. Didn't realize how much it messed with me, until I went off of it. So, I'm not trying it again. You're right, though, it makes you foggy.

It works better when you take it with Effexor in the morning. They work in synergy with each other. Google “California Rocket Fuel.” It’s much better that way than on its own.

... but withdrawal from both at once is a bit biatch :hilarious:

Or maybe I just didn't have doctors tell me how to do it right, I'm sure the weaning off can get done safer without a shock to one's system. <contemplative>

Well I have come to the conclusion I am stuck taking something forever so not even going to attempt to come off. Yes both can be horrific to come off of at the same time. Quality of life over quantity of life. I am pretty much on the outside of the rabbit-hole so would rather not fall back in if at all possible as long as it’s working. I am not 100% but know that is an unrealistic expectation. Just keeping my stress level down as much as possible.

Oh that comment of mine totally wasn't to dissuade anyone from medicating, separately or in functional combos.

More just personal reminiscing to the lifetime ago I was on those two.

Didn't know the combo has a fancy name tho, so thanks for the info :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back