• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

The Albatross

MyPTSD Pro
I don't really know that we've ever had a thread (not that I recall) for reading. So, for any readers - what are you reading right now? Fiction, non-fiction... if it's a book let's share?

I like to work my way through authors here lately and am doing Mark Haddon (after reading his novel "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time") and am on the hunt for Zora Neale Hurston novels after finishing "Their Eyes Were Watching God" (originally published in 1937).

It became my habit and a hobby to find an author I like and to track down as many of their works as I can find. I've already done Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, Tom Robbins, Richard Bach, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams, Margaret Atwood, C.S. Lewis & many others.... you get the idea.

I also like works of fiction written by international authors which are then transcribed to English, and I have a penchant for vintage cookbooks and Manners and Etiquette books before 1940.

Thought it might be fun and interesting to see and share what we're reading? Articles, Magazines, Audio books... all in bounds... it's hard with PTSD brains to read. For me it was something I formerly enjoyed that I had to re-acquire. So let's keep it social please and share?

Last edited:
I love to read and yes, it has been a frustrating thing post trauma and PTSD brain...but I continue to try. I enjoy a wide variety from memoirs, biographies, historical fiction, mystery, etc. I recently finished Hunger by Roxane Gay and Taking My Life Back by Rebekah Gregory. I love Lianne Moriarty.

I'm also on the hunt for a copy of Judith Lewis Herman's Trauma & Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror... for a re-read as I gave my copy away and I used a quote from that book recently.

I am also finishing a small group book study of Lysa Terkeurst's Unglued - Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions

Trauma and Recovery, from J. Herman. I have it at the local library. Its so good!! .And I love the excerpt you took the other day.
Previous ptsd, I was a big reader. My fav hobby. It has taken me many years to understand and remember what I am reading..but I keep going. Currently, I am reading author John Berger, about drawing.

I used to read so much as a kid. In the past 15 years I just couldn't read. Just didn't have the attention span for it.
Then a couple years ago I decided to try reading a little bit each day, I chose a children's series so I wouldn't get too triggered and I chose a series that seemed like it might be a page Turner to make it a little easier to get back into it.

That was the 'His dark materials' trilogy by Phillip Pullman and I enjoyed it very much.

I still don't read anywhere near as much as I did when I was younger and tend to find fiction much harder to deal with than factual but it feels great to be reading again.

Currently reading 7 years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer. It's fascinating! About an Austrian mountaineer who gets trapped in a POW camp in the second world war only to escape and hike to Tibet from India and eventually become friends with the Dalai Lama.

I am also going through the DBT skills workbook and learning from that.

I am also reading a book about the fear of creating art.

And lastly I am pretty much always reading Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck - it's my favourite book and it calms me down beautifully.

Oh also I read a page a day when I remember of Courage to Change - an Al Anon book.

I love Judith L Hermann, Margatet Atwood, Douglas Adams & The curious incident of the dog in the night time :)

Authors I've loved include Diana Athill, Jeanette Winterson, Buchi Emecheta, Maya Angelou, Alice Walker & Jane Austin, Anita Brooker, George Orwell (non fiction in particular) Henry David Thoreau, Oliver Sachs.

You mentioning old cookbooks @The Albatross - might be a bit old but I did enjoy
A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes by Charles Elmé Francatelli 1852 I found it really interesting to see what ordinary ppl ate then.

I had a couple crazes reading wise over the years including Holocaust memoirs and slave memoirs, also a period of reading "mislit" I'm pretty sure choosing those cheerful topics is related to my own far less traumatic experiences somehow.

Thanks for the topic :)

Last edited:
@Bearlinda - 1852, no no no... not too old for me. The oldest recipes I have right now are from 1900-1933... it's kinda interesting to see the changes in the ones that were published during the Great Depression.

I also have a 1910 set of 6 volume paperbacks about relationships, sex and marriage... now that's really interesting as well.

I was able to get the Judith Lewis Herman book I wanted and a compilation of -Zora Neale Hurston on inter-library loan. No telling when they'll come in but that will do me with reading for a while I expect.

Back