• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Service dog handler lobby

OMG! I did something brilliant and why it took me a year and a half and now in the second summer with a service dog is beyond me!

I was tossing around the idea of a "Noggle". It's basically a hose that zip ties to one of your AC vents in the front of the car and its a long hose, basically, and then it goes to the back. Made for kids. To hold and/or direct directly on them. But it's expensive! There are DIY's of them all over youtube but I thought of a simpler idea and I think better and cost me nothing cause I already had it and everything I needed.

To set the stage for those that don't know. I live in Florida with a two door stick shift car and a large service dog. Basically, even if I found a way to seat bet him in tight, his head would still hit the dash board when shifting gears if I have him sit in the front seat. I have never been able to find a way to seat belt him in tight enough where he won't. So, he has to sit in the back. I have him lay down in the back for saftey and I can seat belt him in tight that way. But, because it's a 2 door, it's really hard to get enough AC in the back. I have struggled with this now going into our second summer together. I did buy window shades and they do help but not enough.

A simply idea. I had a battery powered fan from when Hurricane Irma took out our power. I already also had sticky backed velcro. I took that and velcroed it between the seats so when the AC is blowing in that direction, the fan will carry it. And OMG did it carry it! So much that the blanket that he lays on was cold to the touch! And it helped sooooooo much! No panting at all and he was chillin with his eyes half closed. Loved it! Wow! It does eat up batteries fast but I do know that one set of batteries will last through an entire night. So like 8 or 10 hrs. It is pretty much almost dead by then but if I am turning it off when stopping and only have it on when we are in the car. I am sure it will last at least a week. And right now, he doesn't work daily because I haven't gone through the accomendation process to get him to work with me yet and I don't go to other places daily. So, possibly longer? I bought some batteries just in case though! D Cell. No one seems to stock D Cell so could only get one package. But yeah! God, why did it take me so long to figure out this simple solution? I was looking at cooling mats to put in there but I think this will do perfectly and I won't need anything else!

I did buy some ani-fungal foot liquid that you use with a little brush. I was hoping that the brush type will help me get it up into his nails better. I hope that helps and I can tell they are hurting him and it's next to impossible to dremmel his nails now. I didn't know which to buy but they all seem to have the same stuff in them. I really don't wanna get expensive vet prescribed stuff so fingers crossed that this does it.

Oh, we also made it without boots today and it's 96 F outside and the pavement is super hot. We used Musher's Secert (I just bought more. A two pack) and we put that on right before walking across the pavement going into my therapist then also put on more afterwards to walk to the car and it worked. I was able to park in the shade and that helps cause I got my stuff to load too. Then at Walgreens I left the cart where I could see it, loaded him in quickly and then turned on the car for him to start the AC while I then loaded my stuff in the truck. Its tricky with a stick because the clutch makes the car move backwards even with the emergency brake on. And then afterwards, at home, I grabed my stuff, locked the door so when I closed it, it would be locked, and then unloaded him, moved the seat back, closed the door all pretty fast to help get him off the pavement and onto the sidewalk as fast as possible but yay! We are getting to tougher pads!

Anyway, yay on the fan idea too! Game changer for sure!

Putting the anti-fungal on is so much harder then doing his nails. I just noticed this morning that the nail bed and really his toe on a few of the back nails (the darkest one but even on one thats not super dark) is starting to swell. I figured it was due to him biting at it more.

But, what really has me worried is a few days (maybe 4 days ago) ago I noticed droll coming off of his mouth when walking back from throwing his bag of poop in the dumpster. He's not a drooling breed and he's not a drooler in general. I have never seen him drool. So, was pretty alarmed. And that was before I started the human anti-fungal. I could understand if he had gotten some of that in his mouth. Cats do that. It's why its so hard to give cats pills. They will drool insanely when a forgien substance is in their mouths. But, it was before the anti-fungal so had me alarmed. I checked his mouth and it was a tad wet but not a lot. I chalked it up to maybe he had drank some water before we went out and forgot about it.

Today, I was walking back from the dumpster again and a big thing of foam drool dropped off of his mouth. This time I could tell that it was white foam and not actually dripping water. He did drink right before going out but I have never seen him drool. Ever! He has had dripping water right after drinking before but never ever white foam. It really has me worried.

I don't even know for sure that his nail issue of them discoloring is actually a nail fungus. Its just what I found online. But when searching about dog nail fungus, they get the fungus in outside wet conditions and he is never in wet conditions unless it had just rained. And never in areas where I would think a fungus would be like swampy areas or even wet for a long time areas. And from what I understand, it only discolors because the dog is chewing on it.

He has always been a foot chewer. Part of his allergies. But what if its not a fungus. And what, if anything, does this drooling mean? Its not often. Not everyday even. Just the two times. He is just as active. Acting completely normal. I looked in his mouth to see if he had a bad tooth and no. His teeth look normal as does his gums. Gave him an antler and he chewed on it for a bit. Not sure he would if he had a tooth issue or if his teeth or mouth was hurting. He is eating just fine, not larthargic or anything. Acting perfectly normal. But, I am now super worried and can't stop this anxiety and panic I have now.

I was thinking that maybe the nail thing could be allergies acting up? He is allergic to grass and allergy meds tend to stop working after a long while. The vet told us to stay on Benedryl and that worked for years but eventually they stopped working and I had to go to children's Zyertec and that worked. Been on that for about a year or so. And now he is starting to break out on his tummy again so I can tell it is not working as well so I started to give him a Benedryl on top of the Zyetec and that's not seeming to help. I do have adult Zyertec pills. The children's liquid just seemed to work better. But, can go to adult dose. He is at a size where he can take adult sized medications thankfully. And most dog meds are identical to human meds. Just a different dosing.

I thought that maybe dirt got embedded in his nail beds and I can see that happening where and how we run. But I cannot seem to be able to get it cleaned out. I have used a rag with water and some dog shampoo and rubbed the area the best I could. I have used cottom swabs. Nothing seems to be able to get any embedded dirt out or help the areas. I have also used hydrocortizone on them and that doesn't work. Any thoughts?

Edited to add: He is itching like crazy over the last few weeks but no fleas at all and nothing found in his coat at all. Allergies?

Vet time. To check the nail issue, and to check the drooling issue.

Because you’re right: some dogs drool continuously. Those that don’t? It’s too often something serious. Potentially, if he’s chewing the nail, the fungal treatment has gotten into his blood stream.

Drooling where it isn’t normal: common in dogs that are suffering heat exhaustion, or poisoning.

I’d personally draw the line at this point and get professional input.

So, it was 6 months ago that we had a flea outbreak. Ish. When I bought the Advantix II. I can buy another box but I have an entire unopened box of Frontline for large dogs just sitting there. I'm wondering if it's worth trying the Frontline again since the cat is gone and we've been on Advantix II for 6 months. I hear that it's good to cycle through different preventatives to keep the fleas from getting used to the meds. And I had an untreated cat at the time. But the Advantix II worked and works so well that I a bit afraid. Though, Frontline also worked for me for years. Looking to save some money. Not looking to get fleas again. Advise?

I’d drop by the vet and ask if they’re aware of any issues with the Frontline (like, are fleas in our local area now immune) to make sure that wasn’t the issue, and use the stock that you have. It’s expensive stuff to waste, and it seems likely that the untreated cat was the reason you couldn’t get rid of the fleas originally.

Ok... need input. I’m desperate for counseling. This might be its own problem.

New counseling clinic said they have unleashed therapy dogs. I asked if they could be leashed or in offices under owner control when I come. They said no. They canceled my intake appointment just for asking about this accessibility issue. I left a message asking they reschedule it and I won’t bring my service dog so I don’t have to worry about your unleashed dogs jumping all over her or worse.

So far, they are continuing in their stance... and now stating well other clients have service dogs and if you have a problem being around other dogs, we are not the place for you. I stated again I have no issue with other service dogs. I’m around them often. They are under handler control. Never had anything bad happen with a service dog.

I’m just asking if the unleashed therapy dogs could be under owner control (as is the law in my city for public spaces and yes it includes therapy clinics) so they would not jump on my dog. If you can’t, you can’t, and I will take meds so I don’t need the SD, but I’d prefer accessibility for me and my SD.

They again said no.

I could go file with civil rights orgs... or give up and move on... or try again to at least get access for me without my service dog.

If I had not been attacked twice by alleged therapy dogs running loose in therapy clinics, I wouldn’t have asked.

@Justmehere if you were in a wheelchair and you rang the clinic and they said, “We aren’t going to make space for your chair, so this probably isn’t the place for you”, how would you treat that?

Go hard: fight it with civil lib lawyer.
Or move on?

We make huge gains as a society when (and mostly only when) someone decides to take a stand, and fight the fight.

But our primary responsibility is not the greater good, it’s our own health. For me personally? I’d probably agree with them that it’s not gonna work. I’m not gonna be okay with uncontrolled dogs running around the therapy office. I have a SD because I need a SD, not because it’s fun. If a therapy office can’t appreciate how important a SD is to the handler? They’re absolutely right - that would not be the place for me.

Pick your battles. If you fought every medical or therapeutic breach of professional standards that you’ve crossed paths with in the last couple of years? You’d be fighting therapists as a full time job. I personally reckon you give yourself a pass.

But then, that’s what I’d do. It could be the case that you need to fight this one just because. Only you can answer that.

New counseling clinic said they have unleashed therapy dogs. I asked if they could be leashed or in offices under owner control when I come. They said no.

That's bullshit! Never heard such a thing! Geeze! So sorry about this. The only therapy dog I have run across is one allowed to run loose uncontroled on a 6 foot leash. So they just have dogs running loose in the clinic? Wow!

I agree @Sideways. Fight this and fight hard or move on. That is such bullshit!

ETA: I would give them a pass personally but just me.

This is the second time in a very short timeframe you have to deal with unleashed "therapy dogs". I'm gonna ask our trainer today, but I tend to agree with @lostforgottensoul

This is neither responsible nor seems appropriate for a clinic setting and while I'm not sure whether there's actual laws, I know for a fact that we would NEVER have our therapy dogs unleashed and uncontrolled. Not sure if they'd gotten therapy qualification like that and if they don't - they're just pets allowed to come to work.

Please fight this. This is unacceptable. (because not only does it impede you, it also casts a terrible light on therapy dog work as a whole - and don't get me started on them cancelling the appointment simply for you asking. WTF!?)

None of these “therapy dogs” that have been problematic are actually trained and certified therapy dogs. And yes, I’ve given material to show what is an actual certified therapy dog, and they have all said theirs are not trained or certified. In some cases they are in no pet office buildings so I don’t know how they are getting away with doing this. They are more or less a pet of a therapist they want to keep at work because dos are cute and yeah, I’d want to do that too! But when you are in business with the general public you are asking for a lawsuit to let your dog run free in public spaces unattended. Certified or not, therapy dog or not. Blah.

The therapist is texting me stating they will look into the links I gave them on how to have a pet friendly office that doesn’t create risks for the public coming in and out of spaces like waiting rooms and how to comply with ADA rules for pet office dogs.

The therapist seems very receptive, actually seems to have her own beef with the dogs... but they are her supervisor’s dogs, and so there is only so much she can do. But it sounds like she is passing on info to him and now says they will get back to me later in the week. I think my appointment is back on the books, for now, until she gets back with me later this week. Which means I’m going to get a nonsense no later this week and this just isn’t helping my mental health. I already offered to not bring my SD for now... She said others bring them but I don’t want to risk it. Not again. Been there done that and have the torn up SD jacket from a therapy (not certified) pet dog that had cushings (but the therapist didn’t know yet) and the dog came bolting down the hall, when I was visiting another practice, and decided my dog was going to be the first of several that it attacked. Unattended, unleashed...

I’m trying to understand their perspective and my family had dogs in my father’s business but they were in an area separate from the public. Totally different thing. All I asked was that they leash or put the dog in an office area for the 1 hour around my appointment. That’s it. That’s all. Just don’t let it loose unattended but they said it’s loose unattended and that won’t change. Ugh. :(

Back